Tandoor Oven testing pics

This is a great thread, and I'm very jealous!

I'd run that tandoor more than I should, and would end up eating way too much naan and such.

Keep the pron coming, as I look forward to seeing your future adventures with that baby.

Thanks for posting this!

I just showed one of these DIY videos to The Missus, and we're off to Home Depot on Sunday to get started on our own!

A buddy of mine used the "SimpleNick" videos as a guide for making one some time back. It works very well.

This is a great thread, and I'm very jealous!

I'd run that tandoor more than I should, and would end up eating way too much naan and such.

Keep the pron coming, as I look forward to seeing your future adventures with that baby.

I'll be sure to share! Definitely a unique part of the wood fired cooking arsenal.

Awesome....just Awesome.

I'm going to have to check that auction out.

Thanks for posting

There are definitely deals to be had there for the foodie. There is an internet markup, I haven't had time to go in person so I don't mind, cost of doing business. Some people pay more than retail which is stupid.. luckily the items are on proxibid ahead of time and you can do your homework.

Thanks for posting this!

I just showed one of these DIY videos to The Missus, and we're off to Home Depot on Sunday to get started on our own!

Really? Awesome. Let me know how you make out. Definitely the way to go for skewered stuff.

I am usually all about the DIY but in this case I'm OK with my decision.

This is where I got the naan cushion and skewers. Definitely should have made my own, I was just impatient. I'll have to hit the metal supply yard for stainless rods.

http://www.nishienterprise.com/Tandoor-Accessories-s/64.htm

Seriously???

Really? Awesome. Let me know how you make out. Definitely the way to go for skewered stuff.

I am usually all about the DIY but in this case I'm OK with my decision.

This is where I got the naan cushion and skewers. Definitely should have made my own, I was just impatient. I'll have to hit the metal supply yard for stainless rods.

http://www.nishienterprise.com/Tandoor-Accessories-s/64.htm

Very serious indeed, though the pickins at Home Depot were very slim. There's a pottery place not far from here that has a conucopia of pots that should get us what we're looking for, so hopefully we can get started on it next weekend or sooner.

And thanks for that link - I'll definitely be needing some skewers and such!

Very serious indeed, though the pickins at Home Depot were very slim. There's a pottery place not far from here that has a conucopia of pots that should get us what we're looking for, so hopefully we can get started on it next weekend or sooner.

And thanks for that link - I'll definitely be needing some skewers and such!

Nice :) I think you will have a problem at Home Depot for sure, especially off season. You want to hit one of those yuppie fufu garden centers or local garden center businesses... at least by me, they have better choice

Great thread, Seth!

I think in Moose's mind, he's seeing a new way to cook PIZZA. Before you know it, he'll be putting pepperoni and cheese in naan.:becky:

Great thread, Seth!

I think in Moose's mind, he's seeing a new way to cook PIZZA. Before you know it, he'll be putting pepperoni and cheese in naan.:becky:

Haha, nice. I could see some naan bread pizza for sure :) maybe par cook on the wall, then lowered in with some toppings somehow. Only thing working against ya is size of the hole and not spilling everything on the fire getting it in there. Errrrrr.. sounds like a personal problem??

My kamado can get almost that hot, and I can do tikka in it, but, it's not the same. Also, nothing replaces naan cooked on a tandoor wall, I tried with both stones and tawas.

So, I'm wondering if that's because of:

- The vertical orientation of the tandoor walls

- The tandoor material

- The tandoor heat

There seems to be a long list of materials used for these. Plant pots, etc. Seems the only concern is how long each choice might last, not how well each might work. They all seem to work.

So that leaves us with the vertical surface and heat. I would think a quality vertical pizza stone in an insulated kamado under sustained temps would produce good naan. Again, that's what I would guess. Never tried

So, I'm wondering if that's because of:

- The vertical orientation of the tandoor walls

- The tandoor material

- The tandoor heat

There seems to be a long list of materials used for these. Plant pots, etc. Seems the only concern is how long each choice might last, not how well each might work. They all seem to work.

So that leaves us with the vertical surface and heat. I would think a quality vertical pizza stone in an insulated kamado under sustained temps would produce good naan. Again, that's what I would guess. Never tried

It's the baby of kamado-style ceramic cooker getting together with a pit-barrel cooker. The near-vertical walls (more vertical than a rounded kamado) cook the hanging skewers with radiant heat, much like a trompo would...think gyros or al pastor. And the drippings into the smouldering embers will flavor the food, much like in a PBC. Typically you would let the coals or wood burn completely down to embers (no minion method here like for kamados/PBCs) so there's no need for temp regulation because you are cooking on the downslope of the temp curve with mainly radiant heat from the walls.

Back