Best Heavy Duty Wood Cutting Board?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi all,

Through my fault...of not properly oiling my cutting board...it's starting to crack.
I'm currently trying to research if there's a way to save and repair it before it cracks through.

I picked up a Boos cutting board 2-3 years ago on Amazon prime for a really good price.
It is 18x24" and 2 inches thick. It is an edge grain board.

I started looking around for a replacement.....and there's one I came across that seems to be HIGHLY rated and wondering if ya'll knew about these...

Boardsmith.

Here's the Maple one I'm looking at:

https://theboardsmith.com/collectio...boards/products/maple-end-grain-cutting-board

The 18x24 is in the $400 range.

Is anyone here familiar with this?

If not....what good quality chopping boards do you like?

Do any of ya'll have real, honest to goodness butchers blocks? I mean the really heavy HEAVY duty solid wood, 100's of pounds of table like butcher block.....

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, please post link and pics if you can.

Cayenne

I don’t have a boardsmith cutting board, but I have heard good things about their quality. I am still using an end grain block I picked up at Sur La Table over 20 years ago. it is 18 x 18 x 3 inch thick and going strong. But if I were in the market a board smith would be on my radar.

Do any of ya'll have real, honest to goodness butchers blocks? I mean the really heavy HEAVY duty solid wood, 100's of pounds of table like butcher block.....

They're out there. I have a 1930's end grain Boos butcher block. It is approx 33x30" and 9.5" thick. Originally it was approx 16" thick. The thickness difference is wear from decades of meat cutting and scraping smooth. If that thing could talk, the stories it would tell..

I found it in a barn at an estate sale, sitting on its side, legs off, with bird poop and what not on top. Most everyone ignored it and I think few recognized it. My offer, I think it was $175, was accepted at the end of the sale.

Boardsmith makes excellent cutting boards. I have a maple edge grain carving board from them. Super high quality. Heavy for its size and really well put together.

One other suggestion would be to check out Etsy.com for cutting boards. There are a number of different manufacturers. My main chopping block is from Edgeworks (but I think he has a different name now)

End grain, if I understand it...is generally thought to be the way to go, right?

It's the current fad. There's a website that claims end grain is easier on knife edges. Guess what kind of boards the web site sells?

That plus..

It's the current fad. There's a website that claims end grain is easier on knife edges. Guess what kind of boards the web site sells?

LOL...well, that does make sense.

I'd heard from sources that it not only is a bit easier on knife edges, BUT...that they also are less prone to cracking and will last longer in the long run....?

C

I've had pretty good luck with my Boos boards. I probably have 5 or 6 of them in varying styles and sizes. Some are just for presentation. I have a NSF board of theirs that I use extensively for my commercial cooking. At home I have a large walnut board of theirs that I really like.

Wow, everyone has posted really nice butcher blocks. If I had the space, an old-school butcher table would be awesome.

I have a ~16x16x2.5 butcher block cutting board I bought at Home Goods for ~$50. It's heavy-duty but I can still store it under the kitchen sink so it doesn't clutter up the counter (I use small cutting boards for daily stuff and only bring out the big one for the BBQ meats).

I thought they were synonymous....

I was under the impression that boards with running lengthwise were cutting boards, end grain were chopping blocks.

I use Wood Welded maple chopping blocks. My big one is a 20"x15"x3.5": https://woodweldedwest.com/collecti...chopping-blocks-3-thick?variant=6263410360348

My daily use block is a 15"x15"x2": https://woodweldedwest.com/collecti...oducts/maple-end-grain-chopping-block-2-thick

I use a San Jamar no-slip mat under them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001MSCKM

What's the difference between a cutting or chopping board/block?

To me the terms are pretty much synonymous....

A butchers block...to me, is a BIG heavy think (like a foot or more) of solid wood on 4 legs that is free standing.

Chopping or cutting boards are something you use on the counter...

Do I have it wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Oil it,oil it,oil it. It will heal. Keep Cleaning and oiling it!Oil it after every use.Wash/clean it after every use.Then oil it.

Or... you can make your own:

Maple, Purpleheart and Bubinga -

15243158991_26ff651f7b_c.jpg
[/url]Endgrain glueup by Maylar 2007, on Flickr[/IMG]

15059493919_077d042347_c.jpg
[/url]Finished endgrain board by Maylar 2007, on Flickr[/IMG]

I purchased a 3 piece roll-up plastic cutting surface set 6 or so years ago, still on number one. Used to have one of them big 'ol heavy beasts that took up a ton of space, hard to wash, etc. Now just wash off and stick it behind the toaster.
Ed

Oil it, oil it, oil it. It will heal. Keep Cleaning and oiling it! Oil it after every use. Wash/clean it after every use. Then oil it.

Oil isn't going to fix a cracked board. Cracks happen from internal stresses caused by changing moisture. Wood expands and contracts with changes in the environment. The design has to accommodate that. Oil doesn't prevent that from happening.

One must be aware that water is the enemy of dry wood. Never put a board in a dishwasher or soak it in a sink. Wash with soap and hot water and allow to dry. Oil if you like.

I'd like to see a pic of the OP's board to see what the cracks are like and what the design of the board is.

I had one that started to crack just because it had dried out.I started oiling it regularly and the crack disappeared.It is still there I am sure but it is not visible.

Pics.

Oil isn't going to fix a cracked board. Cracks happen from internal stresses caused by changing moisture. Wood expands and contracts with changes in the environment. The design has to accommodate that. Oil doesn't prevent that from happening.

One must be aware that water is the enemy of dry wood. Never put a board in a dishwasher or soak it in a sink. Wash with soap and hot water and allow to dry. Oil if you like.

I'd like to see a pic of the OP's board to see what the cracks are like and what the design of the board is.

Ok...attached are some pics. 3 from one side, one flipped over.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 120
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 120
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 120
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg