Tacos de lengua ( beef tongue tacos) #WSCG

It seems the OP does not want to answer questions or does not notice them which is too bad. Too bad for me, as I saw fresh beef tongue at an old fashioned butcher shop today (locally raised beef, grass fed, etc) which set me back $25 at $5/lb for two tongues. I picked up tortillas and cilantro and will make tacos too. But the traditional method is to boil the tongue or braise for three hours with garlic, onion, and bay leaves. I am not sure smoking it is a good idea but I am certainly interested in putting a rub on it and using my BGE to slow cook it at 275 as he described. My questions mirror those already asked; how the hell did you get that membrane off without parboiling it first for 30 minutes or so?

It seems the OP does not want to answer questions or does not notice them which is too bad. Too bad for me, as I saw fresh beef tongue at an old fashioned butcher shop today (locally raised beef, grass fed, etc) which set me back $25 at $5/lb for two tongues. I picked up tortillas and cilantro and will make tacos too. But the traditional method is to boil the tongue or braise for three hours with garlic, onion, and bay leaves. I am not sure smoking it is a good idea but I am certainly interested in putting a rub on it and using my BGE to slow cook it at 275 as he described. My questions mirror those already asked; how the hell did you get that membrane off without parboiling it first for 30 minutes or so?

Looks like filleting a fish. I might try this Monday.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJZO3rscRdc"]How to strip off skin of Beef-Tongue 牛タンのむき方 - YouTube[/ame]

Hmmm. I think that's a lot of work for the expert Japanese dude and that means a lot of work and a likely hack job from me. I will parboil mine for 30-40 minutes with garlic, onion, and bayleaves and then remove the skin and then apply a rub and cook it on the BGE. Hats off to the OP for being able to clean his without parboiling.

I haven't tried to skin one before cooking but I bet it is at least as tough as skinning most any other large animal (deer, hog, etc.). We always just skin it after braising (onions, garlic, bay leaves, salt).

I like the idea of smoking it, after all, when cooked like it really should be, it would be buried in a pit with coals and hot rocks overnight, so it should have some smoke to it.

Maybe for an easier peel, while it is still frozen maybe grill or steam it a bit to cook/loosen the skin while the meat stays frozen. It may peel easier then.

I have been planning to try one in the pressure cooker, as my wife usually puts it in the crockpot overnight so it is ready for breakfast... It should cook much quicker, so it can be more of a last-minute (last-hour) decision.

And here are some of our salsa verde recipes:
===========
Tomatillo Salsa

12 +/- Tomatillos
1 or more Jalapeños
1/2 medium onion
2-3 Tbs. Cilantro
1/2 tsp. Garlic (powder or minced)
Salt (to taste)

Remove the husks from the tomatillos, and wash them and the jalapeños.
Boil the tomatillos and jalapeños for about 10-15 minutes, till all are tender.
Dice the onions, and saute them with the garlic in a little oil for a few minutes. Can omit the saute for a different taste.
Put everything in the blender and puree. You can also add the onions after blending if you want a little more texture.
If it is a little thick, add a little of the boiling water.
Add salt to your taste.
For a smoky version, grill the veggies then puree...

===============
Green Salsa

Jalapeños (# depends on size aand how much salsa)
onion, quartered (1/4 per 4-5 jalapenos)
cilantro (optional, to taste)
1/2 tsp. Garlic (powder or minced, or cloves)
Salt (to taste)

Wash the jalapeños, then boil or grill them and the onions for about 10-15 minutes, till they are tender.
All into the blender, turn it on.
If it is a little thick, add a little of the boiling water.
Add salt to your taste.

================
Avocado Salsa

3-4 regular avocados
-or-
1-2 large avocados
1 or more jalapenos (to your heat level)
water
garlic (powder/minced/whole cloves)
salt

Peel and seed the avocados, put in blender.
Remove the stem (& seeds for milder) from the jalapeno, add to blender.
Add a few tbs of water and the garlic and salt, blend.
If it is too thick can add a little more water to get it thin enough to blend.
Adjust salt to taste.
This doesn't keep too long, so eat it up.

For a smoky version, grill the jalapenos first.

================

Mike "Dodis"

Looks great, care to share your tomatillo recipe?

Salsa Verde recipe. This one is a bit hot.
1️⃣ On a grill or skillet roast 12 serranos chiles, 6 tomatillos, 6 garlic cloves, 1/2 onion.
2️⃣ rough chop 1/4 bunch of cilantro and chop finely 2 green onions.
3️⃣ Once your ingredient are roasted place in a blender with your cilantro, 1 cup of purified water,1 tsp of black pepper and 1 tsp of salt. Blend together. Taste and add salt if necessary

After showing Momma your pictures (and reminding her of the really good lengua tacos we would get back in Fort Wayne, IN), she's agreed that I can give it a try this weekend.

I'm with MrChrister in that our beef tongue will be frozen. Thaw completely, then try to skin before the rub/smoke process?

I guess I need to do some research on a good rub for this baby, as I have different tastes depending on the beef I'm cooking (steak/carne asada/brisket/ribs). Any chance you'd kick me/us in the "Right" direction?

Many thanks for the inspiration... Those photos are so nice, I can nearly taste it as you sliced/chopped it!

After its thawed out use a very sharp knife. Once you start you will realize how easy it is to trim the skin. The. Season and smoke as usual.

Well I have a tongue in the freezer I forgot about. And was wanting to do something different on Memorial day so now I have my answer . Looks great. Thanks

Never cooked one before so the more info the better.

Keep it simple. Treat like a brisket. Just trim the skin off.

I've never peeled it before boiling it. Does it peel or do you just have to trim it up with a knife?
That looks fantastic btw. Lengua is delish!

Looks like I'm the the only one intrigued on the pre-boil peel.

Trim with your sharpest knife. No pre-boil needed

Relax brother. I have a day job. Those who know me I'm always willing to help.

A sharp knife. It's not hard. Once you do it you will realize par boil is not needed.

Back