T shaped uds

I own a T-Drum-Smoker myself. Build it mostly like this one: http://jmillerid.com/wordpress/category/55-gallon-drum-smoker/

Main reason to kick my old UDS out of the garden was the need for more cooking space. After half a year working with the big one I must say, fire management is a biatch. My old one was like "fire and forget". The new one needs more attention. If I've got plenty time I also change the airflow back to 1" Vents like in my old UDS.
But I build a new pull out charcoal basket and now life is much easier.

2014-08-025.jpg

Never had any need for a diffusorplate or something like that.
@OP: Nice build anyway!:clap2:

rib cook

Saturday rib cook. Funny thing though, I still haven't gotten any q off of this bad boy yet. We are going to be taking it out to the Bixby bbq and blues festival this year, so hopefully I will get to try it out then.

Attachments

• 20150131_154608.jpg
    20150131_154608.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 20150131_155345.jpg
    20150131_155345.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 20150131_155016.jpg
    20150131_155016.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 20150131_155032.jpg
    20150131_155032.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 249
I don't have a welder do it's getting riveted then I take it up to work and put some UGLY welds on it on my lunch breaks.

I'm in the process of getting one of these built right now and would love some advice on cooking techniques as well as what the dimensions of your charcoal basket is as well as what kind of temps you are getting. I'll post pics of the build as it progresses

I can only go by what my cousin has told me about cooking on it, I haven't cooked on it myself. He says he can get temps pretty much as high as he wants. He does talk about the bottom side of ribs and such getting a little charred from the vertical heat. I think you would have to flip your food similar to cooking on a uds or run a deflector. I didn't put a heat deflector in it and maybe should have. He tried to cook with a water pan in it once, and he had trouble getting temps up. He has 2 charcoal baskets. One is a circle that is 12 inches tall wrapped around a weber charcoal grate. He says it is plenty big for ribs and small cuts. The big basket I made him is almost too big. It is just small enough to get in the door I made and when it is full, it is really heavy and hard to put in the smoker. I don't have the dimensions of it anymore. I bet it holds 30 lbs of charcoal or more.

Hi Kaptain, thanks for the reply. I was thinking about a basket that would be around 18 inches wide by 12 inches tall, and maybe even a couple of others, one bigger as well as a smaller one as well. I'll play around with both and also thinking of a deflector although a couple of other guys have said they don't really need it, as long as the design has the holes rather than an open barrel. I'll keep the updates coming

Back