T shaped uds

Kaptain,
I like the pullout grates in your design. I made a hanger for my flat grate when in rotisserie mode. The grate hangs off the back if the table. Maybe you can hang your top grates off the back of the barrels when cooking tall meats like pork shoulders. Just a thought. Very nice build!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 533
Kaptain,
I like the pullout grates in your design. I made a hanger for my flat grate when in rotisserie mode. The grate hangs off the back if the table. Maybe you can hang your top grates off the back of the barrels when cooking tall meats like pork shoulders. Just a thought. Very nice build!

thanks. The pull out grates are really nice for basting ribs and such. I put them on my big baby smoker and really liked them. Always fun to have future mod ideas.

The doors have a 2 inch over hang on them and they are sealed with rope gasket. The toggle clamps also really snug them down tight.

2nd cook on the t shaped uds

Pics from the 2nd cook

Attachments

• 20141109_161513.jpg
    20141109_161513.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 444
  • 20141109_161840.jpg
    20141109_161840.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 444
  • 20141109_180722.jpg
    20141109_180722.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 443
Well any more cooks to report? I like this thing. Holds steady Temps easily?

I'd like a single exhaust stack centered, and deflector plate.

Ya I've decided to build one of these to replace my UDS (sorry Frank) It'll be after the Holidays tho........$.
I like the Grate Space and the Easy Access. Pulling a rack of meat out to get to meat underneath is getting old in Reg UDS.

My cousin has cooked on it a few times now, and he really likes how it cooks. He said it doesn't use as much charcoal and wood as I thought it might. I made the charcoal basket enormous, but he said he has only filled it up 3/4 full and had a bunch left over after an all day cook. I had saved some of a barrel to make a heat deflector, but he said it doesn't need it. He said the bottom of the meat doesn't get crispy like it did in the uds. If you have any questions, I will try and answer them. He did say he had all of this on there on his last cook,
"At one time yesterday, this was on my smoker: 3 racks of St Louis style ribs, 2 whole chickens, 3 smoked sausages, 7 very large baking potatoes, and a pan full of my baked beans. Not bad......."

I love the idea, but I don't know that I would call it a UDS... this is a different animal altogether... I believe it needs a new name.

Thanks for the update, Kaptain. I'm set on building one much like that one but with different exhaust. I really like the slide out grates you made but I may just go with 2.

Thanks for the update, Kaptain. I'm set on building one much like that one but with different exhaust. I really like the slide out grates you made but I may just go with 2.

The exhaust was done that way for 2 reasons. First, I think it helps even out the heat and smoke by pulling it from the middle to both sides. I might just crazy on that theory. Second, is that it is way easier to mount them to the side than on the top of the barrel. When you mount them On the top, you have to figure out how tilt them back where you can still open the lid. Plus, cutting a circle out of a circle makes it a little tougher to get the size right. It also changes the material you have to use for the pipes if you are going to weld them to the barrel. I used galvanized duct work that gets jacked up if you weld it.

Back