THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
Smoked a 13# choice brisket from Wal-Mart on the RT590. Went for 16 hours 40 minutes and was on time. One mistake was I didn't trim the flat and it had extra juicy fat and the slices. This is the third brisket in a row I've nailed. This was by far the most tender. With that said the flat always reminds you just how much difference exists between higher grades of beef.

The 2 racks of baby backs were cooked on the WSM and reminded me how much I love running that smoker and how good ribs are off it. I haven't dialed in ribs on the pellet yet, but I don't know if they will beat Bertha. Used Pecan and Cherry chunks ribs were rubbed with salt and Killer Hogs The BBQ rub. Cooked about 285-300* for 3 hours and 20 min. Ribs had a decent amount of loin meat on them, but were really good. I would go with spares over them, but I would definitely cook these again. Thanks for looking.
798f8db9fb3c5924cc583797ec0d007f.jpg
b1f89afd50ef88f32669bf0c9580e6e4.jpg
c59f1cf6211a3187e991940bc5c0497c.jpg
4f6f738446826ffa1a0bd2b397bdc3d8.jpg
0247ad82e0b6aeca4dc6b87530a9904c.jpg
aed6950322f5586d00a347e32c8eeacf.jpg

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

Great cook! Glad you got some good baby backs. It took me a while to get ribs on my rec tec close to WSM. In fact I almost gave up. What pellets were you using?

Great cook! Glad you got some good baby backs. It took me a while to get ribs on my rec tec close to WSM. In fact I almost gave up. What pellets were you using?

Lumber Jack 100% Hickory. I am on my last bag and have thought about trying some other types, but the LJ is going to be hard to beat.

That looks delicious.

I really like Adam16's idea of trimming several inches of the flat to grind for brisket burgers. Flat is just difficult to get right.

Joedy, couple of Q's on your brisket?
1. temp?
2. wrapped? BP? Foil?

1. Temp I did 11 hours @ extreme smoke 180*, 2 hours @ 250, 2 hours @300, and the last 100 min at 235. I went back down to 235 to give a bigger window of when it would be right. I took it down to 235 @ IT of 193 and it was done @ 206*.

2. I did not wrap at all. My first couple I wrapped using foil and liked it. Then I did my first brisket on the pg and wasn't able to wrap it. When I cut it and tasted the bark it was crazy what I had been missing out on. I decided I would never wrap a brisket in foil again. One thing I will warn is you may want to flip the brisket during the cook (or cook on a higher rack if you have it). I can see where towards the end of the cook once you cut the temp up some the deflector plate starts putting off lots of heat and you don't want the bottom to burn. I may try wrapping in BP just for a comparison.

Back