THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cat797

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Ed
Decided to do some Mexican yesterday. Was inspired by Thirdeye's Birria Tacos, and I was given a couple beef tongues and have done Tonybel's tacos de lengua before, so that's what was on the menu.

Gardens are in full bounty right now, so on Saturday I made a fire-roasted salsa with fresh tomatoes, peppers, and onions. I also went to the Mexican Grocery and picked up some tomatillos, avocados, and cilantro to make a avocado salsa. Sadly no pics of that. Here are the basics of what I did:

Avocado Salsa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5ZXUrGm1yE
Fire-Roasted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-BduziRdTY

Yesterday I started with what ended up being 1.5 beef tongues (apparently the locker cut one in half long ways :noidea:). I cut the skin off of them and got the pieces to roughly the same size.
nFC8BmI.jpg

I also had two small chuck roasts which were used for the Birria tacos
kJwYO0d.jpg

Everything was seasoned up with a MSU rub concoction of various partial bottles of SPG rubs and the addition of some powdered beef bone stock I get from a local spice store. Into the Yoder YS640 at 300 degrees.
moFc0UD.jpg

Let those go for about 2.5 hours or so and it was time to braise. Straight beef broth for the tongues and chili paste/Beef Broth for the Birria.
nwj5rOA.jpg

7YW4Cbi.jpg

WDC3zRV.jpg

I let them braise until they probed tender, pulled and rested until dinner time. Here's the final results on the finest of china :becky:. Birria served with a side of the consumme, a little fresh salsa, and some sour cream. Tacos de lengua with onions, cilantro, and the avocado salsa.
dvJQaoM.jpg

4pOK2qf.jpg

Both were very good. Will be definitely doing the Birria again! Thanks for looking.......

Thanks guys! It was really good. I just polished off the Birria leftovers last night!

LOL.....One of my favorite movies!

I think it's hilarious. I posted pics on Facebook too, and the reactions I always get to tongue just make me laugh. If people could just get past that thing about eating beef tongue, oh my God, it makes the best tacos! And then to hit it with onions, cilantro, and a great hot salsa.....Heaven!

Back