Suggestion for Competition/Backyard vertical smoker (backwoods?)

rcwalke1

Found some matches.
Hey folks, been on board for a little while now just looking on and gaining insight where I could, but don't post much. However, with the wealth of
experience and knowledge on the board, I wanted to reach out to you guys for recommendations regarding purchase of a vertical smoker. I am on a cooking team with couple guys my age (32) that looks to compete 5-6x patio comps a year and we want to step it up. One member of the team has the Mixon M60 H20 smoker and I am looking to add a vertical Smoker.

Living MS, the Backwoods smoker is probably the most popular brand. I was lucky enough to cook with 2 time Memphis in May rib champ, Mark West, and he recommended a backwoods smoker bc that's what he uses but we were cooking on the Mixon smoker.

So, the ones I'm interested in are the Fat Boy, G2 Fat Boy, party and the G2 Party. If anyone has any experience cooking with these (or any other brand) and would be willing to give some pros/cons of using for both competition and cooking at the house, I would really appreciate it.

I had a party G2 for years (just sold it today). Ran like a champ. Couple of points - charcoal basket as-is is a bit small for long cooks. I could get about 6 hrs max. Always planned to make it bigger, never did. I used it for years without a guru, never really needed it. Got the adapter because I had the guru from a different smoker. Water pan is a bit of a pain to deal with. It's heavy, but still fairly transportable.

I thought it was a great cooker.

Todd

I'm not sure why questions about Backwoods reflexively echo back with Humphry's but whatever. One of the many reasons I chose Backwoods is because of the light weight of the original (G1?) before the G2 were available. Consider weight vs the ability to fit a full size pan and go from there.

I'm not sure why questions about Backwoods reflexively echo back with Humphry's but whatever. One of the many reasons I chose Backwoods is because of the light weight of the original (G1?) before the G2 were available. Consider weight vs the ability to fit a full size pan and go from there.

Seems like the original post asked for suggestions on backwoods or any other brand of vertical smoker.

backwoods lighter, more portable

humphreys thicker metal, should take longer to rust thru

basically figure out what is more important to you and your team. both great cookers.

Really appreciate the suggestions guys. I got set up with a backwoods dealer via a friend on the pro circuit and said he would get me the G2 party for 2800 out the door, and it's close enough for me to drive and pickup. I'm leaning hard toward the backwoods but wanted to do my research on other brands beforehand.
Not the first time I have seen the humphreys mentioned. I am definitely giving them and spicewine a look, but the location and not seeing them in person is a concern.

Backwoods are fine smokers. Lots of championships have been won on them. Same with Humphrey's or many other vertical smokers.

As someone said before, Backwoods has a bit thinner metal so it's easier to transport. Humphrey's is thicker metal and is heavier but should last longer.

I've cooked on both. They both cook pretty much the same IMO. The biggest thing to me was the weight of the Humphrey's. If it was just sitting on my back porch all the time that's one thing. But having to transport it to contests made me want a Backwoods just to save my back. I had casters and a permanent dolly on the Humphrey's (Pint) and it was still a beast to transport.

You won't go wrong with any of the choices you have. Just be sure to learn your cooker inside and out by cooking on it a lot (like every weekend for a couple months).

Since you are looking I'd suggest giving 270 Smokers a look too.

I have to 2nd what Kevin has said , 270 smokers transport like a dream with just one person and man do they cook like a dream and I believe there right on point as far as price and value

I have a Backwoods Party I compete with. It is a great smoker and I can load and unload it myself into a pickup truck. I have cooked with it in 50 mph wind gusts and pouring rain and got 2 walks in a contest. I have never used a temp controller. The G2 is heavier and would probably need 2 people to load/unload. I have a Humpries Weeble now but I like the Backswoods better (but not by much).

Had a G2 Chubby & Party for 4yrs of contests. They work great. I liked them because I could load into the back of a truck so they were portable and still help a bunch of food. Great for home use as well.

Back