Success: 24 butts/240 lbs, 9 racks of ribs, and brisket

TXArmy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Brandon
Just wanted to say a quick thanks to the Brethren and Paul Shirley for my team’s success this weekend. We cooked 240lbs of butts, 9 racks of ribs, and a brisket for a neighborhood comp. Served crowd of 1800+

The Shirley elevated straight back 24x42 w/warmer handled everything we could throw at it. For those wondering how big a cooker they need, this thing handled all those butts at 275 in 11 hours. As they came off brisket and ribs started going on.

Comp results: 2nd ribs and 3rd people’ choice (jerk pulled pork on a freshly fried tortilla chip with homemade spicy bbq sauce).

As fellow Shirley owners can attest to these cookers in public garner more interest, questions, pictures, and amazement that the food that comes off them. If I had a dollar for every time a guy stopped by in complete awe I could have paid for the cooker yesterday. Probably could have had butts done in 9-10 hours if I wasn’t opening the doors so much to show folks.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics and thanks again to everyone for their advice last week and over the years.

Brandon

Attachments

• IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2059.jpg
    IMG_2059.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_8554.jpg
    IMG_8554.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_8641.JPG
    IMG_8641.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_8663.jpg
    IMG_8663.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 270
Oh, a note about the advice, everyone was spot on!

Started early, panned 2 at a time (to rest as opposed to cook), had all meat done 3 hours before serving, pulled bone and used for initial mix, then pulled out drill mounted butt puller paddle (saved fingers and was amazing), had plenty of helpers, ensured food safety w/food handler certified wash stations, and most importantly had fun!

Thanks again everyone!

My hat is off to you for attempting such a large cook and it is tipped to you for being successful! Well done!!!

Very impressive! My first shirley was the original straight back. That 24x55 was not big but with 4 racks the capacity was huge. I filled 3 racks once. If I had got a 42 instead I'd probably still have it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

That's very impressive. It's good to see these things being used in the capacity they are made for.

Nice work!

Bill

Great cook!

Have you always used the V basket? Curious to hear your thoughts if previously didn't use the V basket...

Thanks guys. This was the most I’ve ever cooked at once in my own smoker. It was surprisingly easy just a little daunting at first.

Jeff, I’ve not had a regular fire basket in the Shirley but did in a previous COS. This vbasket is a million times easier. The coals stay so tight and compact that it’s almost effortless to run the fire. 2-3 splits every 40-45 min and it hums along at 275.

Back