(Stupid Question Time) UDS Flat Lid Handle

Pieman007

Found some matches.
Hi All

Started marking out the locations of holes to be drilled for my UDS.

I've bought a couple (well 3) of these handles [ame="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191824228973?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=490859145040&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]4" 6" 8" Stainless Steel Kitchen Cabinet Door Handles T Bar Pull Hardware Drawer | eBay[/ame]
.....2 for the sides which I'm going to put vertically, however the lid one is now concerning me....for two reasons. 1) It may be too narrow to get your hand underneath without "warming" those fingers and 2) With it being metal will it get too hot to hold anyway ?

I don't want to make the holes then find actually I need to source another handle which you can guarantee will be different size so will need new holes drilled.

Like the subject says - stupid question.....Sorry! :)

That's the style I used on mine, for the top and the sides. They come in different sizes.

I used the same handle you bought on mine, it works fine. The lid doesn't get that hot, you'll be fine.

This is what I used. For the sides and the lid. Works perfect.
2e3c6d17800ecae2b10d7fdbebeb5f5b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not a stupid question at all. If you cook at higher temps, that handle is gonna get hot. Nothing a bbq towel won't handle- but it will get warm. I'm cooking at 300-350 - my handle has a piece of silicone tubing slit and wrapped around it.

Put the handle on the lid and put your hand on it like you will be picking it up. Back of your fingers touching the lid? Might want to put a couple of spacers under the legs on your handle. (cut sections of wooden dowel would work marvelously).

About anything can be a drum lid handle- some are just better than others. Not sure if you've decided on placement. I've made 2 uds- the first one had the handle dead nuts center of the lid. Measured twice and everything. Big mistake- my lid fit tightly enough that I needed leverage to get it off. I moved the handle closer to one side of the perimeter and it was night and day easier. Small machine screws w/washers and nuts worked well to seal up the first holes.

Thanks all for your thoughts, I will have a surplus of M4 washers so thinking pack it up with those to get the extra height.

Back