Stuffing a turkey with anything - is this really a good idea?

I'm still getting "probably", "maybe"... ridiculousness. I've already conceded, you likely won't get sick... but why take the chance when there are better and safer ways of cooking a turkey? Reading comprehension/retention lacking?

It's amazing Gore is a scientist...:roll:

I think everyone's reading and comprehension skills are fine. The only problem appears to be that not everyone agrees with you.

And, I never changed any of my posts to include temperature as you claim. The only edits I made were to include more quotes, rather than have quadruple posts. My very first reply to you in this thread stated that I cook the Turkey at 350-400 until the bird is golden brown (generally an indication it is done).

You claim there are better and safer ways to cook the turkey - but you haven't provided any proof that stuffing the turkey makes it unsafe, other than telling us that we can't have cooked a juicy turkey and cooked the stuffing sufficiently. Well guess what - I'm not reinventing the wheel here, I'm cooking my turkey the same as billions of turkeys have been cooked over time and getting the same results that billions of other people have with their turkeys - We are not just getting lucky every time, as much as you would like to think it.

I think you are a troll

Why, because I defend myself and the other members on here when their integrity is questioned?

Would be interested to see in any of my posts where I haven't made a logical and well thought out response?

It pisses me off when someone thinks their opinion is fact. I have stated facts to support my opinion and been called a liar - so not sure how that makes me a troll?

In this case telling everyone that it's basically a miracle that you can cook a turkey with stuffing and not give everyone food poisoning doesn't sit well with me. I find it very difficult to believe that millions of people can cook their turkey every year with stuffing, and just get LUCKY that they didn't get food poisoning. This tells me that the chances of you cooking your bird to completion and not have the stuffing reach an adequate temperature is very rare.

I'm on this site daily, don't post a whole lot because I feel intimidated by most people because my knowledge of BBQ and smoking is very limited and now after being called a liar and troll, I guess maybe I was right to just keep my mouth shut - I'll stop posting so as not to offend anyone else.

I apologize, that was not meant for you but I am going to retract it anyways. Why cause despite some questionable accusations I think this is a good thread.

I already stated that I prefer dressing, but it is possible to cook stuffing in a carcass and make it safe.

Crap, without drying out the bird. Although I really prefer dressing.

this is completely false...ive been eating stuffed to the brim turkeys(bread stuffing) for 28 years and have yet to eat one that has been "dried up"

they have always come out moist and delicious and there is no comparing the taste of real stuffing to the crap made in a pan

^^^^Agree 100%^^^^^ Don't fall for the scare tactics....it's B.S!

Except for a couple birds that got deep fried, or smoked we always put stuffing in them as far back as I can remember, which would be more than 65 years. My mom and all her thirteen sisters with large families like ours, did it with no gauges or food guidelines to deal with. Add to that, the food was left out on the table all day lightly covered with foil, or plastic wrap when it became available, so anyone that wanted to snack on it had it at their desire. When company left they went with paper plates piled high and covered for sometimes a 4 hour drive, no coolers or ice involved, none ever called to let us know they got sick from it. The one thing we did was to take the hot stuffing out of the bird once it came from the oven.

The large scale butcher production company's are my main worry these days,
also how fowl is raised. The proper handling of the uncooked bird would seem to be the most critical time something could go a fowl, pun intended. Having said all that, I do take more precautions with our food these days, but the stuffing is still going in the bird when being baked, and yes the stuffing will have been made with raw eggs.
Dave

Except for a couple birds that got deep fried, or smoked we always put stuffing in them as far back as I can remember, which would be more than 65 years. My mom and all her thirteen sisters with large families like ours, did it with no gauges or food guidelines to deal with. Add to that, the food was left out on the table all day lightly covered with foil, or plastic wrap when it became available, so anyone that wanted to snack on it had it at their desire. When company left they went with paper plates piled high and covered for sometimes a 4 hour drive, no coolers or ice involved, none ever called to let us know they got sick from it. The one thing we did was to take the hot stuffing out of the bird once it came from the oven.

also how fowl is raised. The proper handling of the uncooked bird would seem to be the most critical time something could go a fowl, pun intended. Having said all that, I do take more precautions with our food these days, but the stuffing is still going in the bird when being baked, and yes the stuffing will have been made with raw eggs.Dave

Why not they worked for Rocky

Mmm grandmas shoe leather turker cause it was cooked soo long because it was stuffed. but the stuffing is good lol. My wifes granny is always completly shocked at how jucy my birds are.

Bottom line is you are opening your self up to environmental dangers and toxins every time you breath in a breath of un filtered air. Every drop of water you drink, and every bite of food you put in your body! You also put your self into danger every time you crawl out of bed, go to work, drive your car, turn your lights on, etc, etc, ad infinitum! Do you want to live in fear of everything around you? Or, do you want to be alert and cautious about what is going on around you, and get on with your life and enjoy it to the fullest?

It has not been too long ago that we were cooking on wood stoves, had no knowledge of FDA guidelines, and just did what we knew were safe and healthy, and tried to live and eat as best we could with what we had to work with. It was that way for hundreds, no thousands of years and we still exist to this day.

My taste buds and my sense of smell go a long way with helping me stay away from bad food. That and a touch of common sense thrown in for good measure. From there I rely on Faith in my God to protect me from hazards and pray Blessings on what ever I am about to eat. Don't know about you, but it has worked well for me for over 70 years. I love to eat, and love to live, and refuse to worry about what what MIGHT harm me to the extent that I can't enjoy life. Life is short, so enjoy what little time you have.

Blessings,

Omar

I feel compelled to weigh in here.

My mom and my aunts have been cooking stuffed birds for our family for over 50 years, for 50-75 people each year, and nary a person has taken sick afterwards.

My wife will be cooking a stuffed bird for about 20 next week, and we have no compunction that we could possibly harm anyone.

Anecdotal evidence-sure. But first-hand anecdotal evidence for me and I am going to enjoy the succulent bounty of the bird.

Stuffing with the inside drippings from the bird is the bomb.

That's all great and grand for dealing with salmonella poisoning, in theory. There are other food poisonings associated with undercooked poultry. What about clostridium perfringens, staphylococcal intoxication, and campylobacteriosis?

And just where are they going to come from if you have a fresh bird that you've most likely brined, or bought pre-brined and washed.... Therefore sterile. Brining for flavour is an added benefit. It's actually for preserving.

So unless you leave the carcass out in the backyard for a week and then stuff it with some old stinking bread crumbs and some rotten bacon, onions etc I'd say you're pretty good to go.

If we can get out of the dark ages for a bit please just remember the theory of spontaneous generation was disproved long ago.

As clean / sterile food goes into a cooker, so clean and sterile food comes out. I don't know where all those nasties are going to come from if the very exact centre of the bird or the stuffing ends up 2 degrees below what the USDA tells you???

And as for having stuffing make for a dry bird? That only happens if you are trying to get the stuffing temp up to the birds finished temp. The stuffing is not the bird. It goes in fresh and sterile and adds moisture and flavor to the bird. Any juices that may run back into the stuffing are sterile anyway as the interstitial tissues of the bird are sterile. (Unless of course you let the dog to bury it in the backyard for a week)

So, as politely as I can say it... You should all get stuffed.

Stuff your Chooks, Turkeys, Pheasants, Geese, Swans, Partridges, Guinea Fowl, and whatever else you have and enjoy the added flavor and moisture you get from the effort.

Cheers!

Bill

also how fowl is raised. The proper handling of the uncooked bird would seem to be the most critical time something could go a fowl, pun intended. Having said all that, I do take more precautions with our food these days, but the stuffing is still going in the bird when being baked, and yes the stuffing will have been made with raw eggs.
Dave

Again, the way we process poultry is a disgrace. When Tysons started selling chicken in Russia, there was a huge wave of food poisonings because many people cook their poultry medium rare. When our food is more dangerous than that of Russia, it says something, probably that there are a lot of political contributions from food processors to keep our regulations what they are.

Why not they worked for Rocky

Again, about a 1 in 10,000 shot of an egg containing salmonella. The odds are in Rocky's favor. Should we have a poll on how many Brethren eat their egg yolk's runny? :noidea:

Incidentally, as posted before, botulism can withstand extremely high heats, over 220*. If you're thinking of having people over for Thanksgiving and want to serve a completely safe holiday dinner, you better plan on cooking it like this:

burnt.jpg

Mmmmmm, when do we eat? :hungry:

Again, the way we process poultry is a disgrace. When Tysons started selling chicken in Russia, there was a huge wave of food poisonings because many people cook their poultry medium rare. When our food is more dangerous than that of Russia, it says something, probably that there are a lot of political contributions from food processors to keep our regulations what they are.

Again, about a 1 in 10,000 shot of an egg containing salmonella. The odds are in Rocky's favor. Should we have a poll on how many Brethren eat their egg yolk's runny? :noidea:

Incidentally, as posted before, botulism can withstand extremely high heats, over 220*. If you're thinking of having people over for Thanksgiving and want to serve a completely safe holiday dinner, you better plan on cooking it like this:

burnt.jpg

Mmmmmm, when do we eat? :hungry:

I am up to my 9,999 egg what to do, what to do, oh the heck with it I am having it, and it will be sunny-side up runny.:thumb:

Man don't you know eating carbon is begging for cancer, not to mention a mouth full of nasty?:crazy:
Dave

I am up to my 9,999 egg what to do, what to do, oh the heck with it I am having it, and it will be sunny-side up runny.:thumb:

Man don't you know eating carbon is begging for cancer, not to mention a mouth full of nasty?:crazy:
Dave

What?!?? Cancer? Fark, I gave up my all-soy diet and switched to eating pure carbon to avoid getting sick and now you're telling me I'm going to get cancer? Fark. What am I gonna do now? :noidea:

What?!?? Cancer? Fark, I gave up my all-soy diet and switched to eating pure carbon to avoid getting sick and now you're telling me I'm going to get cancer? Fark. What am I gonna do now? :noidea:

Give it to someone you don't like maybe. :heh: No I would not do that to my worst enemy, or even my dog. :wink:
Dave

Back