Stuffing a turkey with anything - is this really a good idea?

Whoops - well I was approaching the question more from a flavor standpoint than a safety standpoint.

I think I will just put a couple sprigs of rosemary, maybe one cut up carrot and onion in there to give the bird some flavor.

Whoops - well I was approaching the question more from a flavor standpoint than a safety standpoint.

I think I will just put a couple sprigs of rosemary, maybe one cut up carrot and onion in there to give the bird some flavor.

No, you made it very clear. Other people wanted to sidetrack it with potentially unsafe practices backed up by their "long history of not having a problem" and zero data on temperature and time.

I really think you can't go wrong with adding some herbs in the cavity. I really recommend some fresh sage... very traditional t-giving herb! Enjoy!

I don't think you understand what I'm saying :evil:. Unless you prove to me that you've cooked the stuffing to a proper temperature I don't want it near me. Good for you and your family, you guys haven't gotten sick. If you ever get so sick that you end up in a hospital from food poisoning, I'm sure you'd change your tune. You are still promoting people to eat possible undercooked contaminated food by what you post.

lol, I'm sure glad I am not as pessimistic about life as you. I explained how it was possible to cook the stuffing and turkey and life was good, yet you are so obsessed with your opinion that you still claim it's not possible.

I'll continue to make my Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter miracles, while you go around telling everyone that what millions of us do for our holiday meals is an impossibility.

If it's like a lot of my grandma's turkeys, she probability made a lot of gravy for dry turkey.

nah, gravy is not my thing and was never needed with her turkeys. She set a pretty high standard with her holiday meals and now in her late 80's I do my best to treat her to similar meals.

No, you made it very clear. Other people wanted to sidetrack it with potentially unsafe practices backed up by their "long history of not having a problem" and zero data on temperature and time.

Lol, I gave you a temperature and time - but it wasn't good enough for you - Temperature 375-400 - time - since I don't know the weight of the turkey and every turkey cooks differently - the time would be until it is cooked - which is usually when the exterior of the turkey is a golden brown, with a nice crispness.

I guess that I sidetracked the thread because my opinion and my results DON'T AGREE with your opinion and beliefs. Or maybe the OP would actually like to know that it doesn't take a miracle to cook a turkey with stuffing.

If you don't feel safe stuffing a turkey, then that's fine, but don't go around telling everyone it can't be done.

Seriously. I'm not saying a stuffed turkey can't be achieved to where everything is cooked just right, but I really doubt this guy. I'm calling a 'no pics it didn't happen' on him and the other... don't care about forum policy on that one. What he is promoting is potentially unsafe.

Unfortunately I don't take pics of all my turkeys. I'll be sure to break out the camera at the next family dinner just to appease you. I'm sure that it will provide you evidence that myself and the millions of people who stuff our turkeys are all lying about being able to safely cook a stuffed turkey.

lol, I'm sure glad I am not as pessimistic about life as you. I explained how it was possible to cook the stuffing and turkey and life was good, yet you are so obsessed with your opinion that you still claim it's not possible.

You've got me completely wrong, I am everything but a pessimist. But your rationale on food safety is dangerous to spread around.

Get The "Big Easy" and it's a moot point... And the best turkey. ( At least that I've eaten in 56 years walking on the skin of the planet...

VR,
Harold

It's possible that where some of the confusing reports on this come from is people having adverse results 'smoking' turkey at lower temps & the stuffing not getting done up to snuff......a lot of people use raw egg as a binder....that & ( I believe) some forms of rice & other additives that may need cooking to temp (not sure what all people may add, there's a million recipes for stuffing) could perhaps stay in a danger zone long enough to be a problem....

Also, how long does something sit out before the beginning of cooking?

That, I personally think, may end up causing the most problem of all.....

Just some thoughts......be safe with food & have a good holiday ........:grin:

Lol, I gave you a temperature and time - but it wasn't good enough for you - Temperature 375-400 - time - since I don't know the weight of the turkey and every turkey cooks differently - the time would be until it is cooked - which is usually when the exterior of the turkey is a golden brown, with a nice crispness.

I guess that I sidetracked the thread because my opinion and my results DON'T AGREE with your opinion and beliefs.

You later edited your comment to include temperature, so it's not really lol. I don't re-read an entire thread thinking people are constantly updating their old posts. But that's good we now have direction on how to make a delicious moist turkey that is stuffed.

By the way, my "opinion" isn't an opinion. Food safe temperatures are food safe temperatures.

Happy holidays everyone!!!

I think there are guidelines about temps because of different handling issues and different ingredients. The inside cavity of a turkey can vary in temp based on how it is thawed or if it is fresh. I have eaten a lot of stuffed turkeys, some dry and some not. I tend to not like the stuffing and prefer a dressing as I like the crispy edges and carmelization that occurs.

I have been stuffing turkeys for years... and I am 54 years old going stong.... I think people are way to paranoid......... I am going to keep on doing it.... if I croak are fall out I hope it is with a turkey bone hangin out my mouth.......... I will post pics of one soon.... food safety is great but very overrated in my opinion!!!!

Wow, I am glad I have my turkey already cooked and "mostly" eaten by now! None of us are sick, and the turkey was moist and delicious, and was done from the "Gobble" end to the "parson's nose" end. May never cook another one since it may cause all this much danger to me and others that may consume it. :sad:

Blessings,

Omar

That's all great and grand for dealing with salmonella poisoning, in theory. There are other food poisonings associated with undercooked poultry. What about clostridium perfringens, staphylococcal intoxication, and campylobacteriosis?

28 years was hyperbole. I'm glad you guys haven't gotten sick, but its certainly not smart to promote that [likely] undercooked stuffing is ok. There are reasons for food guidelines, and if you don't follow said guidelines you run the risk of getting yourself sick and everyone one you serve sick.

Yes, there are other food poisonings possible besides salmonella, but salmonella is one of the most common and is the major concern for poultry. Clostridium perfringens, staphylococcal intoxication are both somewhat rare. Campylobacteriosis occurs on the surface and not within the meat and also occurs in cattle. You might as well throw E. coli and botulism in there too while you're at it. Since botulism can survive at temperatures above 230*, no food can truly be considered safe, at least food that we would consider edible, and we might as well shut down this website for promoting unsafe food. The point is the most common concern with poultry in the US is salmonella. While approximately 1 in 10,000 live chickens contain salmonella, approximately 1 in 3 chickens you purchase are contaminated. This is due to cross-contamination when they are cleaned and processed. Salmonella is common and serious.I certainly did not promote undercooking, but simply posted the USDA guidelines, not my own guidelines, but those of the USDA.

I agree "If you cook your turkey so the (stuffing) center is 145* and hold it there for 12 minutes" that it will be safe. The problem is, how many cooks would check that? If one is willing to do this and cook the stuffing further if needed, fine.
Having been hospitalized for acute food poisoning, leading to near kidney failure, the source never found, taking a known risk just is not worth it.

I'm very sorry you suffered food poisoning. It is not a pleasant thing. I got a bad case of food poisoning once from eating a salad at a restaurant. I was sick for a week and lost over 10 pounds. Again, I did not promote undercooking the chicken/turkey/stuffing. I simply posted the USDA guidelines. If you don't have a thermometer to measure the temperature, don't blame me, gheesh. If you look at these guidelines, they are not difficult to achieve. Most people I know cook their turkey to at least 165*. While I don't have data, I would be surprised if there is >20* difference between the middle of the stuffing and the meat of the bird. Since I am not cooking turkey, someone, please take some measurements of this and send them to me or post. I would really like to know the temperature difference. I suggested that probably most cases of food poisoning is caused by cross-contamination, like the salad I ate. By that I mean not properly washing cutting boards, knives, etc. I am paranoid about this. Everything that touches raw poultry is kept and washed separately and sterilized. I cannot emphasize this enough and I witnessed numerous times where cooks cross-contaminated things.

Oh, and for the record, I much prefer prime rib for Thanksgiving, cooked medium rare. Yeah, I know it's dangerous that way, but I'll risk it. :becky:

Excellent post Gore in regards to time@temp=saftey. Pasturizing works the same way. I laugh every time I hear usda guidelines quoted because according to them a rare steak is unsafe. I know eating over easy eggs poses some risk but I don't care, if it's an egg that takes me out so be it. I put my life on the line daily and eating sketchy food barley makes the list.

Yes, there are other food poisonings possible besides salmonella, but salmonella is one of the most common and is the major concern for poultry. Clostridium perfringens, staphylococcal intoxication are both somewhat rare.

Incorrect, staph is more rare. Clostridium perfringens is one of the most common food poisonings along with Salmonella poisoning.

Campylobacteriosis occurs on the surface and not within the meat and also occurs in cattle. You might as well throw E. coli and botulism in there too while you're at it. Since botulism can survive at temperatures above 230*, no food can truly be considered safe, at least food that we would consider edible, and we might as well shut down this website for promoting unsafe food.

Campylobacter is very common on the surface, you are correct. What percentage of Americans buy their turkey fresh, never introduced to some sort of sack where it can steep in it's juices? And no, we really shouldn't throw in botulism or E. Coli because there is no serious threat there without some MAJOR issues with processing. By you "throwing them in[to]" the equation degredates the seriousness of the other pathogens.

The point is the most common concern with poultry in the US is salmonella. While approximately 1 in 10,000 live chickens contain salmonella, approximately 1 in 3 chickens you purchase are contaminated. This is due to cross-contamination when they are cleaned and processed. Salmonella is common and serious.

Although your approximation of 1 in 3 chickens is accurate, you still are lacking campylobacter which you quickly and uninformatively dismissed early.

Ultimately, I really don't care how you people cook your turkey for yourself. But don't make uneducated lengthy statements or claim "I haven't gotten sick in 28 years". It's deceiving. Many people come to this forum for VALUABLE information, and if you say some simple statement like "yeah, cook a stuffed bird at 375* until golden and you'll be fine...I always have" you are providing a great disservice to others. Bottom line is, you can cook your turkey stuffed, and yeah you'll likely be fine. But why bother when we already know how prepare a turkey better, and safer? And don't even try to compare cooking beef to medium rare because you like to live dangerously...another uninformative, misleading, bs comment.

Why not cook the stuffing in the bird and cook the bird to your desired temp -- then when you pull the bird out, spoon out the stuffing into a dish, cover it with foil and put the dish back in the oven until your stuffing reaches the safe temp?

Then you get bird-cooked stuffing (which is how I prefer it) that has reached the appropriate temperature, and your bird has come out of the oven at the proper temp to stay nice and juicy?

:clap2: (I couldn't find an icon that showed someone patting himself on the back)

I think it all comes down to handling and where did you get your source from. The USDA guidelines are just that guidelines. Also an important note is different people at different health situations may or may not be effected.

I believe the guidelines are trying to establish a best practice for a variety of factors that may or may not exist in your or my kitchens but they are trying to establish a medium.

I see suggestions of site issues. I do not see that here. We are proclaiming only our individual opinions.

SteveKing84 in case you didn't know Gore is an actual scientist..... or physicist or a nut job I can't remember which. I'm pretty sure his statements are as accurate as needed for a bbq website. The initial statement with a link to a previous thread holds true, a temp less than your holy 165 for a given time will render poultry safe. This statement was given as a possible answer to why some have done it a certain way that you deem unsafe for decades and never gotten sick.

Saying the usda knows best us like saying the fda knows best too. You quickly dismiss their beef recommendation but take the rest as gospel?

I'm still getting "probably", "maybe"... ridiculousness. I've already conceded, you likely won't get sick... but why take the chance when there are better and safer ways of cooking a turkey? Reading comprehension/retention lacking?

It's amazing Gore is a scientist...:roll:

Back