Stuffed Chops, Ribs, Beans, and Almost Venison

WeberWho

is one Smokin' Farker
We were 1.5 hours north of Green Bay this weekend (From Twin Cities) when a deer decided to play chicken with my wife's crossover. My wife said, "Watch out for that deer ahead". Sure enough the deer starts hightailing it towards my wife's vehicle. I put the brakes on heavy but I didn't want to lock them up incase I needed to swerve and to prevent the vehicle from rolling. I also knew we had an F-150 right behind us. The next thing I know this deer is in the middle of her grill and the deer and I have locked eyes. Both of us knowing this isn't going to be good. I prepare myself in that split second for the airbags to go off. I can feel the weight of the deer being pushed and in slow motion I see the deer doing a 720 in circles across the lane and sliding down into the ditch after connecting. No deployed airbags and no major impact when hitting the deer other than feeling the weight of it being pushed. I quickly look over at my wife and she has big cartoon eyes that begin to water. I said, "What???" She says, "Oh my gosh, that poor deer!" I say, "The deer? Who cares about the deer. Let's hope your car isn't all smashed up!!!". We were only 5 miles from my brother in laws family cabin. So we just kept on going and would evaluate the front end damage once at the cabin. Once we get to the cabin we dreadfully walk out to see what the deer did to the front end. To our complete surprise it was spotless. It was like nothing ever happened. I still can't figure it out. I don't know if the deer was running at a certain angle with us going around a corner where it just pushed it at the same speed where there wasn't any impact. It couldn't have gone any better for the both of us. The deer is going to be feeling it for a few days and my wife's vehicle is spotless. What a crazy 3-4 seconds though. It can have been so much worse. I have to thank the big guy for getting us out of that situation unscathed...

I did bring the Karubecue along. So we did some stuffed pork chops with jamon, pepperoni, and provolone cheese. We also made ribs and had baked beans with onions, bacon, and apple pie filling.

image000000.jpg

image000001.jpg

20200718-192807.jpg

20200718-193216.jpg

20200718-193237.jpg

We had an awesome time with family. Lots of fun. I think we all felt how the dog felt on the trip back home.

20200719-170433-1.jpg

Great story; good looking food; and above all, safety. I had an encounter with a deer some time back that did not work out as well as yours. Its antlers are a pair of rattlers now and the meat was not bad at all. The Jeep Cherokee did not fare so well though.

Glad the deer scene turned out for the best! All the food looks amazing! What is jamon? I can see that's the pan of beans under the ribs..is that the beans under the pork chops too? Those look tasty...the second time I've seen the use of apple pie filling, which I'd never heard of before...

Great story; good looking food; and above all, safety. I had an encounter with a deer some time back that did not work out as well as yours. Its antlers are a pair of rattlers now and the meat was not bad at all. The Jeep Cherokee did not fare so well though.

Thanks!

I wish I could say this was the only time meeting Rudolph with the front end of a vehicle. When I was a teen I unfortunately introduced my Dad's vehicle into one coming home from my cousins wedding. That one left a mark.

I was super happy that this weekend meet up with the deer went as good as it could have gone. The best part no one was hurt. It could have gone south quickly. I was counting my lucky star's that night.

Glad the deer scene turned out for the best! All the food looks amazing! What is jamon? I can see that's the pan of beans under the ribs..is that the beans under the pork chops too? Those look tasty...the second time I've seen the use of apple pie filling, which I'd never heard of before...

Thank you!

I used the pan as a drip tray for the chops. Than used the same pan for ribs and beans.

Jamon (pronounced ha-moan) is dry cured ham. Popular in Spain. It was by far my favorite thing to eat when visiting Europe. Especially the acorn fed pigs. The meat itself it cut very thin. It's salty and melts in your mouth. You can only have so much of it at a time. You should be able to find it locally or it can be ordered online. It varies in grade from the meat and aging process. It's worth trying though.

image-jamon-artisanal-hams.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, is that the ham they have in Wegmans thats like $98 per pound?? Whew lawdy

I'm not familiar with Wegman's but the price can very on the quality of the product. Jamon doesn't have to be $98lb. (1lb is a ton of jamon. I can see it being that expensive. A little goes a long way) Jamon is kind of like steaks. You can buy $5 steak or you can buy a $500+ steak. It's all about how the pig was raised. You can buy jamon from Aldi or you can get it from top end meat markets. The flavor will be slightly different but it shouldn't keep someone from trying it. We will pick up jamon from Aldi. It's not top acorn fed pigs from Europe but it doesn't need to be. It's something different that is enjoyable every once in awhile. It's great when paired with other foods. It's not something you'll sit and eat as a meal. It's more of a treat. Give it a go. Don't get 1lb of it but find a place like Aldi that sells it in a few oz. package and give it a whirl. It's really a great little meat snack!

Back