Striking out on rubs

I could never get one to come out better than what I could buy...

^^^^^^ this....

A few years back I decided to come up with my very own top secret, killer, one of a kind, everyone would die for rub. Spent several months and a couple of hundred dollars to perfect. After hearing everyone raving about Oakridge, I decided to give it a try (black ops). It came in the mail, ripped it open, and BAM!!........ it was my rub without the coffee.....

My moral of this story is that someone else has already put in the time and effort to come up with what I can do. It's just plain cheaper to order theirs. However, this doesn't stop me from mixing rubs to come up with what I like.

Haven't made my own in a while but Plowboys Yardbird has been my go to for a while. Good on just about anything.

Can't go wrong with anything from Oakridge either.

Lots of good suggestions above. I really like Oakridge as well. Another one I have been liking for pork is triple 9 swine.

I've found Meathead's Memphis Meat Dust and Big Bad Beef Rub to be two very tasty rubs. I was buying rubs, but now I just make those. Always happy with the results.

If you want to buy a rub, http://www.texasbbqrub.com/ makes excellent rubs. I've used the grand champion rub and was very pleased. I just prefer to make my own. We're out in the country a bit and it's not always convenient to go buy it when I can mix up a batch of MMD or BBBR.

For application I wet the meat with Worcestershire and apply the rub. Works great.

Back