Stoker Extension Cable Question

Pipin' Pig

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
I need an extension cable for my blower fan. I purchased one of the 20 foot (only length they had) 1/4 in stereo extension cables from Radio shack as I had heard that would work. Unfortunately when it is plugged in and then connected to the fan the Stoker does not find any probes or blowers. When I unplug it it is fine. I know the fan gets power as when it is connected and turned on for the first time the fan starts to blow just as it does when I first turn it on without the extension.

Any ideas? I was thinking a shorter length (I only need about 5 feet) but this was all radio shack had.

BTW - I posted this on the VWB forum as well.

I have the same problem, and did some research a while back. I dont remember where I found the write up(maybe the TVWB), but it specifically stated that standard RCA cables dont always work and its hit or miss depending on quality. I will say that music cables are designed with less strict specs/tolerances than data cables so you will need a high quality cable to compensate.

I looked and couldnt find the article and will keep digging. i did find this one that says it should work. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9270072103/m/1260070305

I had the same problem with my 25 CFM blower not working with a standard extension cable. I ended up cutting the cable between the plug and the blower (which is only two wires at that point) and splicing in some Monster speaker cable. This worked OK, and I was able to extend the length by about 15 feet. The Stoker seems to have a general problem with pushing against higher impedences, so the best way I have found is to use really low resistance cables. I also had some success using a 14 gauge three wire electrical extension cord--I cut the ends off and soldered to RCA headphone jacks. This works with every thing but the 25CFM blower, which just seems to draw too much current.

Hmm. I have the 10CFM blower. I wonder if this also draws too much. I wonder if I can find a good 6ft. cable. Perhaps at Best Buy or something.

All you need to do is splice in a length of standard 16 awg 2 conductor lamp or zip cord. The conductors in the RCA cable are very small and limit the current to the fan.

All you need to do is splice in a length of standard 16 awg 2 conductor lamp or zip cord. The conductors in the RCA cable are very small and limit the current to the fan.

I am a novice here but willing to risk the attempt. Can you provide some visual aids?

Ive been through this with my Stoker as well. The first cables I bought were cheapies off ebay. They worked ok for one temp probe, but could not add a splitter to them or put the fan on it. I learned that the cable needs to be stereo to work. I then went to Radio Shack and bought the Gold Series headphone extension cord #42-2556

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103867&cp

These Radio Shack cables work great for me. I have a few splitters, and run 3 temp probes and the fan off of one extenstion cable. I started getting some weird readings in the StokerLog app sometimes....when the fan would kick on the temp probes would jump up about 5 degrees. I bought another Radio Shack cord, and run the fan alone on one cable, an the 3 temp probes on the other, works great now. I have both the 25cfm and 10 cfm fans working ok with this cable.

Might be a stupid question, but have you tried using different plugs in the Stoker? I have one plug in the back that does not like extension cables being plugged into it. The 3 front ones work fine.

Back