Steven Raichlen

I thought his BBQ Bible book was pretty good for the variety of cuisines in there. I made the onion kabobs hes got in there (i think they were russian), and a couple of other things.

The show is ok. Cannot fault the scenic expanses of pits in the background. It was the show that got me properly into bbq. But the comment on narrating it mystery science theater is spot on. It's like a peanut gallery when I watch it, and it's usually just me watching it. Show is a bit predictable- same script, different meat.

Sometimes I kind of wonder if he is a closet vegitarian with a stunt double for the "bite" shots...

I think his BBQ Bible and BBQ USA books were pretty decent as far as recipe cookbooks go. I liked the country by country theme and state by state theme. He got his name out there before bbq started enjoying the renaissance it is today and is cashing in quite nicely.

His show is, for lack of a better term, awkward. It's not really that entertaining. He clearly was not meant to be a tv host. I think his producers realize that and said "fark it," it will even make people watch it more just to watch the weirdness that it is. Those photo grey glasses, the hair that never changes, his strange delivery. Heck, they even cut to scenes with the crew to fill time. The dude's basically a super nerd.

That said, I do like that he cooks weird things sometimes, the dude's got 5 James Beard awards (4 of which are basically for focusing on eating healthy, which I dig), and you probably won't see him on one of those god awful "bastard chef" shows or contests or whatever (seriously, when is that fad going to end?).

Also, I can't remember a PBS cooking show with more product placement. Oh my gawd. It's grill pron and "don't forget to used your Raichlen endorsed gloves, and tongs, and grill brush, and wood chips, and basting brush, and fire starter, and on and on. When the credits roll it's like a who's who of bbq product endorsements.

I don't turn the channel to watch it, but if it comes on pbs (which is mostly what I watch, the create channel (food, wood working, home improvement, etc)) in the background I probably hit mute and just check out the cookers. He'll be cooking yak or something and for dessert it's a smoked gawd awful sounding random thing. I like to smoke a lot of things...but dessert is usually not one of them.

I like his shows. Weather is supposed to crap out this Fri-Sun hope to catch his series via PBS/ROKU streaming.

Easy to criticize low hanging fruit.

He is one of the largest personalities in the game despite the fact that he lacks any personality.

Poke fun if you will. He's getting paid
I once had an argument with a chef instructor while I was in school, about a particular TV chef I enjoyed watching. She eluded to something like, He's not a Chef, He's a TV personality. He doesn't know what he's doing.

Well, I'd say he knew exactly what he was doing..... making a ton of money. He own many restaurants, has a ton of books, etc....

All I know is his book "How to Grill" is how I learned to start grilling and to stop food-poisoning me, the missus, and friends. I had a gas grill and absolutely no idea how to use it; ran across a copy of the book in an Academy Sports store and it changed everything.

Sure, he is a bit different, some might even say goofy. Some of his instructions proved to be wrong (he stated in that book that brats and sausages should be well-pricked prior to grilling so that they wouldn't explode, a view he has since renounced, for example). But he is right about enough stuff that it got me going in the right direction as regards outdoor cooking, and many of his recipes are spot-on and delicious. Most of those who have worked with him say he is a very nice individual to be around, and that should count for something.

Plus, I discovered ceramic cookers because that book contained a section on "types of cookers" in the back. At that time I knew of nothing that Lowes didn't carry (sad, but true). A few Big Green Eggs later, my local dealer loves me, and family and friends insist I cook for them frequently.

At this point, I know I'm not "all that," but Raichlen's book(s) and TV programs have indeed helped me on a continuing journey toward maybe one day knowing what the hell I'm doing around a cooker, so I'm going to cut the guy some slack.

I watched Bobby Flay one time assemble a WSM wrong, put the water pan on top of the charcoal ring. You know it didn't work yet they didn't edit or fix the video. I look at these shows for ideas not how tos, but many folks do and that doesn't help our cause.

The BBQ Bible really inspired me, back in 2006 ,when I purchased it. I refer to it often. His BBQ Forum website has a similar feel to our home here. I agree about his delivery but I appreciate his work

My favorite part is when he mentions a certain temp , say 132 or 195 and while the thermometer is on the rise he pulls it out at that exact temperature or even just past it and nonchalantly claims, "Nailed It"

The BBQ Bible really inspired me, back in 2006 ,when I purchased it. I refer to it often. His BBQ Forum website has a similar feel to our home here.

I also enjoyed reading through the BBQ Bible! It has interesting info from different places. I have made several things from it as well.

Back