THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After cutting the door out did the pipe spring apart for you? Had hell with mine. I gave up trying to fight the gap after it sprung. I framed up and built a flat door that was much easier to seal. Good looking work by the way.

After cutting the door out did the pipe spring apart for you? Had hell with mine. I gave up trying to fight the gap after it sprung. I framed up and built a flat door that was much easier to seal. Good looking work by the way.

I'll cut it tomorrow but in my experience pipe is not as bad as a propane style tank. If it does spring I'll just use some chain and floor/botte jacks and some heat to pull it back into shape, always works for me.

Starting to actually look like a smoker

9E65409C-5F62-46B1-82D5-808CB3996723_zps39f9fcnd.jpg

166DEF47-CE62-47BD-B63B-259FE6B70449_zpszxdkwibh.jpg

B9F42AAB-2EE6-4FD2-91D4-8FCEDC3E2107_zpshtsjgmjb.jpg

Good looking build. I pipeline for a living and there are a bunch of cool tools we use. If we were closer I would donate some pipe for you to mess with.

Done & Delivered

To make cooking grates I use angle iron and expanded metal. I like to notch and bend all 4 corners of the angle out of a single piece rather than butt or miter cut 4 different pieces. In my experience, cutting a 45* and bending will grow the finished dimension by a hair more than the thickness of the material so to get a 30 inch grate using 11 gauge (1/8 inch), I center the 45* notches at 29-11/16 inches (2 bends = 1/8 +1/8 +1/16 = 30 inches). Here is an example of assembly:

61990A86-7B03-46CD-80BE-DC607C9FBADF_zpsr53zxij8.jpg

note, there is an open gap at the notch because I over cut to make sure I have room to open or close the corner to make it perfectly square. Look closely and you can see a copper sheet under the notch, the mig welding won't adhere to the copper.

4A40FA6D-BC93-403C-80A2-F591354181F4_zpsfdosc8bd.jpg

Just weld up all 4 corners when it is square and add the expanded metal.

33DF7FEC-6742-49CA-948F-9A5741C8C543_zps31me2xhm.jpg

And the final cooking grates in the cooker ready for delivery (I like to deliver with a can of seasoning spray oil, a can of touch up paint and for this cooker, some door gasket).

IMG_1392_zps5h3svnbr.jpg

Here are a few shots of the finished product:

IMG_1394_zpskrqdga3g.jpg

IMG_1396202_zpsir3aeqhl.jpg

IMG_1395202_zpshqswnap5.jpg

IMG_1393_zpsba65jd18.jpg

IMG_1390_zpsxcuix7c7.jpg

IMG_1391_zpsox7nygyh.jpg

On my trailer down to Ft Lauderdale

228413F0-E0EA-4FC6-85DF-D6DBF61E600F_zps1mhrtg3q.jpg

And switched over to the new owner's rig to make the rest of the trip on down to Miami.

67DFD63D-87F1-4498-AED6-7185F48F77B1_zps9t82d9ms.jpg

This turned out to be a nice little cooker and I hope we see it in action soon. Thanks for looking in.

That's a nice size offset smoker for a small family. Dave if you don't mind me asking what did you sell that particular smoker for?

That's a nice size offset smoker for a small family. Dave if you don't mind me asking what did you sell that particular smoker for?

I'll sell that size with all the features shown for $1,750 in either reverse flow or traditional. Also going to make a "stretch" version with a foot longer cook chamber for $2,000.

Dave, that looks really great! Love the info on cutting the 45's, thanks for sharing. I bet that makes a really strong corner. Pricing is reasonable too. When are you starting a trailer line? :wink:

Dave, that looks really great! Love the info on cutting the 45's, thanks for sharing. I bet that makes a really strong corner. Pricing is reasonable too. When are you starting a trailer line? :wink:

An ultralight trailer mounted 24" pipe x 48" cook chamber with an insulated firebox sounds perfect.... No extras beyond that :grin:

Could even just insulate the firebox with an air gap putting a 20" pipe in a 24" pipe! Sign me up.

Thanks. I do like the way that makes clean, strong corners with no sharp edges. I've got 2-3 more of these 20's to build then I'm starting to 24 & 30's; trailers most certainly in the plans for the bigger units.

An ultralight trailer mounted 24" pipe x 48" cook chamber with an insulated firebox sounds perfect.... No extras beyond that :grin:

Could even just insulate the firebox with an air gap putting a 20" pipe in a 24" pipe! Sign me up.

Certainly possible. For a 24"X48" cook chamber a firebox with a 20" pipe inside a 24" (2" air gap or insulation) would need to be 24" long; that would work pretty nice. When I spec out the 24 series I'll price this as an option.

Back