St. Louis Ribs on the grill

SmokinginFlorida

Got Wood.
Finally getting back on here after a bit of crazy.

I have a brand new charbroil combo Gasser and charcoal grill. I am going to give it its first charcoal run today. I’ve got a rack of St. Louis ribs I’m going to do. Due to their size they’ll be both offset and on the coals. I’ll just rotate during the cook. Still going to keep water pan in there to regulate the heat and offer some moisture. I can’t wait to see how they turn out. Just curious to see how long they’re going to take.

Brian, since I only use WSM's (18" or so below the grate, no water pan) I can't be of much help over direct charcoal. But I can probably make it in time for a taste test. Enjoy your cook.

Sounds like a nice afternoon! Let us know how it turns out

If you cut the rack in half will both halves fit over the water instead of the coals?

It will be tough for the portion directly over the coals unless you have a lot of distance because as you know- we don't grill ribs, we smoke ribs.

If you can keep the temp down around 275-300, that would be nice. Keep some wood chunks going the whole cook.

Check for done around 3 hours (if you run 275ish) by probing for tenderness and checking how well the meat has pulled up the bone. Can't really do a bend test if you cut the rack in half.

Keep checking if not tender....

I just looked up your cooker on-line. I see you are probably talking about having the water pan on the cooking grate, not underneath.

You may be able to fit two half racks on half of that grill space or a little more than half and just keep your coals on the opposite half of the charcoal tray. Hopefully you don't have a big water pan.

I see you have a charcoal access door to add coals and wood during longer cooks which should help.

Have fun playing!

I had a pretty successful grill. I think I will make sure in the future I usually go back to smoking my ribs but everything worked pretty well.

I put a disposable metal tray on one side of my bed and did coals on the other. I filled the tree with water. Once my calls were hot I put my rack of ribs over the water bed. I grilled it has 2 1/2 racks to make it fit better. As expected it was cooking pretty quick. As it got to done we put the ribs on the upper rack. That way they would stay warm until we were ready for the rest. Sauced them up and let the sauce cook in while we were getting ready for the rest of the cook.

In the end it cooked very well. It wasn’t fall off the bone but it had a little bite that you had to pull off the bone so I was quite impressed. I will say the ash and water tray cleaned up quite easily.

Attachments

• DD5C1B4C-0D56-4D28-AD7A-4E9CCBFA5E54.jpg
    DD5C1B4C-0D56-4D28-AD7A-4E9CCBFA5E54.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 6FE85102-16A2-487C-9460-80BCCF2F8D3A.jpg
    6FE85102-16A2-487C-9460-80BCCF2F8D3A.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 80
Back