Spicy Pork Rub Recommendations

Colorado0321

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
D
Hi all, it seems like most of the commercial rubs I run into at my local Ace just don't have any of the lip tingling kick I would like on ribs and butts. I would like to hear what you all would recommend for something (recipe or commercial) that's going to leave a nice, lingering heat that might make my guests give a little "Woo!" and wiping their brows after a few bites.

Thanks!

I think one man's spicy vs another's can very greatly. Cimarron Doc's, my wife thought was too much spice for her. Why not just add some cayenne to kick it up?

I use Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple, but not sure how spicy it is. It definitely has some spiciness to it, but not too much IMO.

Nashville hot chicken seasoning might be an option. Kroger (King Souper in CO) sells an inexpensive store brand and McCormick's makes a version too. I've had the Kroger brand and I gave it to my son. At bit too "Woo!" for me.

A combination of Naturific’s hot salt and Qsalt is good on ribs, but might not be quite to that level of heat; at least it wasn’t for me, others thought it was though…

I'd suggest some Oakridge BBQ Habanero Death Dust but unfortunately thats not gonna happen. :sad:

That's my go-to when I want to add a little heat; it's great because it's not just heat, it's actually got good flavor and is more of a back end heat compared to cayenne. I stocked up a bit before the end but I think some places online still have some in stock.

That's my go-to when I want to add a little heat; it's great because it's not just heat, it's actually got good flavor and is more of a back end heat compared to cayenne. I stocked up a bit before the end but I think some places online still have some in stock.
Yeah, I would think someone still has it in stock.

Hi all, it seems like most of the commercial rubs I run into at my local Ace just don't have any of the lip tingling kick I would like on ribs and butts. I would like to hear what you all would recommend for something (recipe or commercial) that's going to leave a nice, lingering heat that might make my guests give a little "Woo!" and wiping their brows after a few bites.

Thanks!

My solution to that was to add some habanero death dust from Oak Ridge BBQ, but they went out of business beginning of this year/end of last. That said, I would bet there are similar rubs out there that will do a similar thing. A little bit went a long way, so it was usually just a very light dusting on top of the primary rub(s).

I am glad I bought up a bunch of Oak Ridge rubs when I saw they were shutting down. I had not ever seen a replacement for their Dominator (again another of those that was used as a top coat over other rubs, but just gave everything a huge pop in sweetness but not like a straight brownsugar/raw sugar kind of way). I have enough to last me a couple years as long as I store them properly (I vacuum sealed them).

Why not add your own "Woo!" to a rub you already like? Pour it in a bowl and add your favorite powdered pepper 1 tsp at a time? Or your 3 favorite peppers, one that zings your lips, one that attacks your tongue and one that hits your throat after you've swallowed the food. Mostly they have to make rubs to appeal to the greatest audience. If you have an asbestos lining and need more heat - you may have to add your own Woo!.

Thanks!
This is a good choice. My friends make here in central Iowa. If you message me your address, I will get you a sample.

https://morub.com/

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I feel like mixing in some habanero powder to whatever rub you like is going to give you good results. Or you could get a really spicy hotsauce and sprinkle it on before the rub.

I've been shying away from adding pepper powders to the rubs I have on hand just because they're such fine powders compared to the rubs that I'm concerned about caking and even distribution, but I'll give it a go and see what happens. Also creating a short list with some of the recommendations here. :)

Thought I would give a little update - I just got back from a trip to Korea and came back with about a kilo of homemade gochugaru (Korean pepper flakes) and integrated that into a basic rub on ribs yesterday (3:2:1 16 mesh pepper:mortons kosher salt:gochugaru by volume), then topped off with a little Lawry's and celery seed too. It turned out pretty excellent with a nice zing, but will double the gochugaru next time to get the heat I want.

Temper Temper from Pendery's is my choice to add heat, and flavor to rubs and more. Red and black pepper, jalapeno and habanero.

qfCccrJ.jpg

Back