Special Project for a Friend!

Please get someone to take a picture of the big hug that you will get when you hand this over. We can handle the eye water.......Well I think we can.

Some more info about my friend, Paul. I met him years ago through his wife when his wife and I were co-workers. He would stop by and have lunch with his wife and we started talking and hit if off right away. Back then he was thinking about getting his first camping trailer. My wife and I were newly married and I so wanted to get a trailer but had NO clue what to look for, what to do, what to buy, you name it. It wasn't a venture I was going to jump into on my own. He ended up buying a trailer and it all happened from there. He helped me get into the whole "trailer" camping adventure. Trailer brakes, hitches, backing up, leveling, water heaters, BLACK TANKS, you name it. We have been on some awesome adventures with our families. From getting flooded in a campground for days to hauling our trailers to South Padre Island. He's been my GPS on trips when it was just my family and me when GPS sucked and couldn't remember the roads, he did. I have posted here about big time 4th of July fireworks shows I have helped put together....learned that from Paul. I have posted about live music/sound/lighting productions I've worked on, Paul again.
He's a recently retired Firefighter of 24 years or so and now a high school teacher teaching Fire Tech to high school students.
Our approaches to things in general are different, but have really complimented each other and benefited both of us in different ways. He's a "let's do it and figure it out as we go along", me, "let me figure it out and then we will do it" type person. We balance each other out.
When it comes down to it, we all have many "friends." BUT, of those friends, there are only 1, 2 or so that are more than that, they are family.
I had the pleasure of knowing his dad and can still remember him and how he would razz us about driving Fords and how he could pull both of our trucks and our trailers and his trailer with his GMC! :heh:
Things work out in weird ways sometimes. The old grill had a canvas cover on it that was made by his dad's sister who owns a local canvas/awning company. Took it down there and they are making a new cover for it. Paul's uncle also works there and when I was leaving asked me if I wanted to sift through all of the scrap steel they had to help make the base. BINGO! 6' length of tubular steel to complete the project.
Between US, I can feel his Dad there by my side doing what he can to make this happen. It's not about me, but about something else. I'm just happy to be a part of it. I just want to do my part to make it happen! :thumb::oops:
Sometimes you become a part of something and don't know why until later. Now I know how I came into this. Mr. Solis....I got your back!
Paul gave me a pair of these when I picked up the grill. He was given several pairs by the local FD to use with his students. TOO COOL!!! Sometimes paying it forward has a few turns and curves in the road that we didn't anticipate. That is a good thing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Awesome history an good to hear the backbone of ur project.. Sounds like. A more then deserving individual an it would only make his poppa proud to see what's become of his old grill.. A wonderful tribute

A little update. Got the handles on and the base welded up. Hope to have it done by Tuesday.:thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 143
Back