Souse Vide party wings

frayedend

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jim
I've been contemplating trying this for a while. I found that on the Vortex, while I love the crispiness I get, I do need to bring wings to about 200 before the skin is where I like it and to get the drummies tender enough.

Disclaimer is that I didn't BBQ in any way, just used the oven for this experiment. I put the wings in a vacuum bag with some basic rub and no salt. I will try with salt next time. 4 hours at 170.

When I removed them I put them in the oven on Convection roast 500. After about 15 minutes the skin was crispy. All the fat had rendered in the water bath so the wings had no time to dry out.

These were by far the most tender juicy wings I've done. When some of the snow melts I'll try finishing in the vortex. My only concern is I won't get much smoke flavor on the grill in just 15 minutes.

In the past I've tried smoking low and slow before crisping and I still believe that no matter what, the smoke somehow adds a rubbery texture to the skin.

Anyhow, more experimentation to be done.

I've been contemplating trying this for a while. I found that on the Vortex, while I love the crispiness I get, I do need to bring wings to about 200 before the skin is where I like it and to get the drummies tender enough.

Disclaimer is that I didn't BBQ in any way, just used the oven for this experiment. I put the wings in a vacuum bag with some basic rub and no salt. I will try with salt next time. 4 hours at 170.

When I removed them I put them in the oven on Convection roast 500. After about 15 minutes the skin was crispy. All the fat had rendered in the water bath so the wings had no time to dry out.

These were by far the most tender juicy wings I've done. When some of the snow melts I'll try finishing in the vortex. My only concern is I won't get much smoke flavor on the grill in just 15 minutes.

In the past I've tried smoking low and slow before crisping and I still believe that no matter what, the smoke somehow adds a rubbery texture to the skin.

Anyhow, more experimentation to be done.

It's not the smoke, its the low and slow. If you doubt, try low and slow without the smoke.

On your sous vide experiment, if you want more smoke try to use more wood than you normally would. Don't know if it will work or not, but worth a try.

Good luck and report back.

Robert

It's not the smoke, its the low and slow. If you doubt, try low and slow without the smoke.

On your sous vide experiment, if you want more smoke try to use more wood than you normally would. Don't know if it will work or not, but worth a try.

Good luck and report back.

Robert

I've been told this before but when I do low and slow in the oven I don't get that rubbery texture. I have no idea why.

Back