Sous vide / grill or smoker: how to?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hey folks,
Wanna do a tri tip and would like to start it on the sous vide to produce a consistent doneness, maximize tenderness & juiciness. Then finish it on the grill or smoker.
Has anyone here done this?
Please share your technique and results.
Thanks
JD

JD .... have SV'd tri-tip on a few occasions. Typically would do it at 127 degrees for about 8 hours. As I understood it, it takes at least that long tri-tip to get tender. Others have done it 3-4hrs. I then seared the heck out of it on all sides as it comes out of the bath gray looking.. Was a perfect medium rare. Still sliced thin. No complaints. Your / other / opinions / experiences may vary.

JD .... have SV'd tri-tip on a few occasions. Typically would do it at 127 degrees for about 8 hours. As I understood it, it takes at least that long tri-tip to get tender. Others have done it 3-4hrs. I then seared the heck out of it on all sides as it comes out of the bath gray looking.. Was a perfect medium rare. Still sliced thin. No complaints. Your / other / opinions / experiences may vary.

Great thanks!
Good info here. Was torn between smoker & grill. I suppose I could sear w/ smoke on grill?
JD

I personally like reverse searing them. I would much rather place in an oven at about 200f and wait for the internal temp to hit about 110. Then Blast it over a blazing hot grill. .

- G

Great thanks!
Good info here. Was torn between smoker & grill. I suppose I could sear w/ smoke on grill?
JD

At that point of searing it really doesn't pick up that much smoke but tasty when you get a nice seasoned crust. You can also season it before putting in a SV bag and again just before searing. Searing is fairly quick as you don't want to overshoot your target temp or doneness. Yes, search youtube for several videos for ideas.

BTW .... I saw a video, where a tri-tip was smoked to a doneness of pulled pork or chuck roast. I think a Brethren here gave it a go just to see. I think pulling a TT ruins the steak.

Tri-tip and sirloin are two of my favorite cuts of beef to SV and grill finish. For tri-tip I paint on some Minor's AuJus prep (liquid) and use a coarse Montreal Steak seasoning in the bag. I use 133° for 6+ hours, and a grill sear.

VxTbOWR.jpg

tMupJvb.jpg

Tri-tip and sirloin are two of my favorite cuts of beef to SV and grill finish. For tri-tip I paint on some Minor's AuJus prep (liquid) and use a coarse Montreal Steak seasoning in the bag. I use 133° for 6+ hours, and a grill sear.

VxTbOWR.jpg

tMupJvb.jpg

That looks excellent! So juicy and consistant through the whole cut.
I appreciate your info!
Best regards!
JD

At that point of searing it really doesn't pick up that much smoke but tasty when you get a nice seasoned crust. You can also season it before putting in a SV bag and again just before searing. Searing is fairly quick as you don't want to overshoot your target temp or doneness. Yes, search youtube for several videos for ideas.

BTW .... I saw a video, where a tri-tip was smoked to a doneness of pulled pork or chuck roast. I think a Brethren here gave it a go just to see. I think pulling a TT ruins the steak.

Thanks!

I do my TT's at 131-133* in the bath (seasoned with SPG) for 8-10 hours. pull it out, dry really well, hit it with oil and a touch more seasoning... then sear over very, very hot charcoal, flipping every 45-60 seconds until a nice crust forms. probably no more than 3-4 mins total. Always gets rave reviews.

I have tried to reverse sear tri tip and it came out okay. Certainly needed practice. I SV'd the last two by dry brining with kosher salt in fridge for a few hours, then season it, occasionally add a pat or two of butter, vac seal and SV @130 for 3 hours....then get it on my extremely hot grill and sear all sides. I tried to add mesquite wood to it last time and found it wasn't very present at all. Would probably SV it for longer to get to see if it improves tenderness.

The family feels like it's prepared like a prime rib texture (internally at least) and I agree. But hey LOVE it that way. While not my favorite way, it's really good.

I do my TT's at 131-133* in the bath (seasoned with SPG) for 8-10 hours. pull it out, dry really well, hit it with oil and a touch more seasoning... then sear over very, very hot charcoal, flipping every 45-60 seconds until a nice crust forms. probably no more than 3-4 mins total. Always gets rave reviews.

It's funny but I started TTs around 3-hours. Then almost by accident, wound up with a 6-hour soak. What is the tenderness after an 8-hour bath?

I think Tri Tip can handle an etxtended sauna session but 3-4 hours works for me. I go at 131 degrees, then let chill it a bit so the sear doesn't take it much higher.

If you have a high heat grill you can sear a nice crust in a few minutes per side and it still be raw inside, then transfer to a low and slow oven or smoker tented, It will produce the best even doneness you ever had, with the bonus of the juices in the bottom of the foil is amazing au jus.

Thats Carne Crosta btw, Rip.

20210626-014311.jpg

20210626-014826.jpg

Last edited:
Another option of you want the combination of the SV tenderness, smoker flavor and a good sear is:

1. SV at your favorite temperature for your favorite amount of time. I prefer 131 degrees for about 6 hours, but everyone has their own preferences.

2. Chill the TT. This can be as little or as much as you want. The more you chill it the more time the TT will spend on the smoker to get back up to temperature. Sometimes I only throw it in the fridge while the smoker warms up and it gets down to 80-90 degrees. Other times I'll put it in an ice bath and it'll get down to refrigerator temperature before there smoker phase.

3. Put it on your smoker until it gets back up to just below your desired done temperature. I typically shoot for the mid 120's, but it's not very critical since the TT was fully cooked during the SV phase. Time and temperature are both personal preferences.

4. Sear the TT with your favorite method.

This is more work than most methods, but will give you smoked TT flavor and rib roast tenderness .

Another option of you want the combination of the SV tenderness, smoker flavor and a good sear is:

1. SV at your favorite temperature for your favorite amount of time. I prefer 131 degrees for about 6 hours, but everyone has their own preferences.

2. Chill the TT. This can be as little or as much as you want. The more you chill it the more time the TT will spend on the smoker to get back up to temperature. Sometimes I only throw it in the fridge while the smoker warms up and it gets down to 80-90 degrees. Other times I'll put it in an ice bath and it'll get down to refrigerator temperature before there smoker phase.

3. Put it on your smoker until it gets back up to just below your desired done temperature. I typically shoot for the mid 120's, but it's not very critical since the TT was fully cooked during the SV phase. Time and temperature are both personal preferences.

4. Sear the TT with your favorite method.

This is more work than most methods, but will give you smoked TT flavor and rib roast tenderness .
Sounds amazing,
Though, I don’t think I’d go to all of that work.
JD

I have two questions please.
First, do you save the liquid from the bag to add back to the meat when you slice, & if so, do you separate out the fat first?
Also, do you re season (i.e., add more rub), when you remove from sous vide bag before you sear it?
Thank again!
JD

It's funny but I started TTs around 3-hours. Then almost by accident, wound up with a 6-hour soak. What is the tenderness after an 8-hour bath?

Yes! I originally did them for 4-6 hours but had something come up and went 11 hours and we all really liked the results so have been doing them longer ever since - super tender... but not mushy. seems to eat like a Med rare prime rib at 8-10 hours.

Back