Sous vide filet mignon finished on the Akorn

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
I did some sous vide filets for a couple of hours at 130 then seared them off on my Akorn with its adjustable grate that I got a few weeks back. I really like it for searing steaks. I had it over 700 degrees. I am really impressed with that akorn. The small slices are for the kids, they love steak. It hurts me a little to watch my son dip his steak in bbq sauce, but I remember dipping my steak in Ketchup for years as a kid.

Attachments

• 20170611_194716.jpg
    20170611_194716.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 167
  • 20170611_200000.jpg
    20170611_200000.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 20170611_200732.jpg
    20170611_200732.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 163
Sorry no pics.

Friday, I had the poker club over.

I used an Anova sous vide unit to cook 4 flank steaks from Sam's Club at 132 degrees for 24 hrs. Treated the meat slabs withe generic rub and a little Allegro's spicy marinade in ziplock bags into the bath.

I used a small cooler as a water bath - in the future to reduce evaporative water loss I'm going to insulate the surface of the water bath with the small plastic balls sold on Amazon for that purpose.

Truthfully the meat while perfectly med rare at the end of the 'bath-time' looks ugly. But I had my charcoal grill fired up hot enough to sear and flipped the meat only long enough to add a little crust and purtiness.

OMG, buttery tender flank steak. Best damn fajita's ever.

And I saved back some of the meat for later personal consumption......

Anova is coming out with an under $100 model later this year - preorders have the price at $89. I have the original $200 unit which isn't as good or as small but works just fine for now. There are multiple sous vide devices under $75 now.

I'm sure this is somewhat a foodie fad but it does make for great steaks and lots of other cooks. It is not for those whose ideas for dinner are limited to 'what can I make in a hurry.'

Sorry no pics.

I used a small cooler as a water bath - in the future to reduce evaporative water loss I'm going to insulate the surface of the water bath with the small plastic balls sold on Amazon for that purpose.

Truthfully the meat while perfectly med rare at the end of the 'bath-time' looks ugly. But I had my charcoal grill fired up hot enough to sear and flipped the meat only long enough to add a little crust and purtiness.

Anova is coming out with an under $100 model later this year - preorders have the price at $89. I have the original $200 unit which isn't as good or as small but works just fine for now. There are multiple sous vide devices under $75 now.

I'm sure this is somewhat a foodie fad but it does make for great steaks and lots of other cooks. It is not for those whose ideas for dinner are limited to 'what can I make in a hurry.'

I also use a cooler for the cooking. A co-worker talked me into a Sous Vide at my previous job when I was on the road for months at a time. It was real easy to go to a grocery store and get something simple to throw in there and heat and eat. Especially if they had a hot plate to sear it on. And the cooler doubled as a good carrying case. Now that I only use it at home, I've cut a notch out of the lid so that I can close the cooler with the Anova doing it's job. There is still some evap, but a lot less than when it was uncovered.

I've seen the Anova on sale, several times, for around $99. I think I paid closer to $200 for mine as well.

It is a bit of a fad, and it does take a lot of planning, but it is a really neat tool that can help put out some killer food.

I bought a cheap cooler for less than the cost of the balls and cut a hole in the lid. I wrap a kitchen towel or some plastic wrap over the opening to get a good seal for longer cooks and there is basically no water loss at all. The cooler I use for bigger cooks is 33 quart cheapo coleman and the 800 watt Anova has no issue with that size despite their recommendations.

Back