Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

I received an immersion cooker for my birthday. Not really knowing what to cook, I cooked a few steaks. They were amazing. I really need to figure out a few other things to cook, but its a sweet little machine that I intend to use often.

I received an immersion cooker for my birthday. Not really knowing what to cook, I cooked a few steaks. They were amazing. I really need to figure out a few other things to cook, but its a sweet little machine that I intend to use often.

I am thinking a Pork Tenderloin is next up, I really got this thing to help me make dinner a few nights a week , well at least getting dinner to the table before 8pm anyway...

Ours has seen more use for chicken breasts than anything else. We've been cooking them at 150 for 90 minutes and then using them for chicken salad or slices on top of a green salad.

Far from it, I'm thinking about getting a second setup, a Dorkfood DSV (yes that's the real name) for doing large batch cooks.

So lets say you are doing steak at 131, do you wait for the water to get up to 131 and then put the steak in or do you put the steak in from the start?

So lets say you are doing steak at 131, do you wait for the water to get up to 131 and then put the steak in or do you put the steak in from the start?

Just like your smoker or oven, get everything to temp first.

Did a big ol steak sammy with a chuckie, provolone, onions, peppers, mushroom, garlic mayo. Sous Vided the chuckie at 132 for 36 hours and then seasoned with 2 rubs(1 being santa maria) and seared on the gasser quick. This fed 3 people.

Chuckie all sliced up. So tender.
23544361743_1dfaa3fbaa_b.jpg

Sandwich made and broiled to melt cheese/heat toppings
23875515940_5d6eb305d2_b.jpg

My sandwich
23803323189_c2bf4e2522_b.jpg

Did a big ol steak sammy with a chuckie, provolone, onions, peppers, mushroom, garlic mayo. Sous Vided the chuckie at 132 for 36 hours and then seasoned with 2 rubs(1 being santa maria) and seared on the gasser quick. This fed 3 people.

Chuckie all sliced up. So tender.
23544361743_1dfaa3fbaa_b.jpg

Sandwich made and broiled to melt cheese/heat toppings
23875515940_5d6eb305d2_b.jpg

My sandwich
23803323189_c2bf4e2522_b.jpg

yep...looks fantastic!....gonna try that

I was going to do the cold smoke --> sous vide --> reverse sear method tonight for some ribeyes but didn't have the time so just cooking them on the Akorn. I would just put it off to another night but it's hard to tell my Mrs "no steak" when she's already got her mind set on it. That's couch sleeping fodder right there.

Next time around for sure.

I talked to a friend this afternoon who did a Sous Vide brisket. He said it basically turned out like a London Broil, which is great if he wanted a London Broil. He concluded there's no substitute for an old school cook.

I talked to a friend this afternoon who did a Sous Vide brisket. He said it basically turned out like a London Broil, which is great if he wanted a London Broil. He concluded there's no substitute for an old school cook.

Did he go straight to the sous vide with it or did he cold smoke it for a while first?

Ours has seen more use for chicken breasts than anything else. We've been cooking them at 150 for 90 minutes and then using them for chicken salad or slices on top of a green salad.

Hmmmm. Makes me think about how good a sous vide tuna salad could be.

Got my Anova on Christmas, first run was outstanding. Just some rosemary, salt and pepper on a tri tip then 5 hours in the sous vide, quick hot flame sear and it was epic.

Last night I did a chicken cacciatore. Truly outstanding. What I really love is how simple it is for timing. My wife and I both work and usually timing our meals for when we both get home is tough, the sous vide simplifies the process, it's already ready, I just have to take it out and quick finish and we're good to go.

What temp did you run the sous vide for the tri tip or chicken?
Got my Anova on Christmas, first run was outstanding. Just some rosemary, salt and pepper on a tri tip then 5 hours in the sous vide, quick hot flame sear and it was epic.

Last night I did a chicken cacciatore. Truly outstanding. What I really love is how simple it is for timing. My wife and I both work and usually timing our meals for when we both get home is tough, the sous vide simplifies the process, it's already ready, I just have to take it out and quick finish and we're good to go.

Did some thighs in the sous vide ar 150 for an 1.5 hours. Then into a skillet with oil. After that simmered in some red hot and butter.

Last edited:
Tri-tip seasoned with SPG and then sous vide @ 126 for 3.5 hours and pan-seared to finish it off.

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

Back