Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

I've been looking at THE LINK you sent me Ron.

Being an engineering type fella, this COMPLETELY peaks my interest!
There's MATH!!!! :p

Anyway....I've also been checking out his videos.
24 hour pot roast eh? Mrs. Wampus makes pot roast all the time and is constantly on the search for the perfect technique.

So many possibilities!

I use a 16 qt cooler, with the lid trimmed to fit my Anova One. I've kept it running for 5 days straight (to cook 3 separate meals, sequentially), and never had to add water. It also makes sense that there are less losses to ambient, so less heater cycling and less energy usage.
image_zpsls02dkjh.jpg

Here is a 50 hour grass-fed wagyu chuck roast I did at 135F. I've done a couple from the same steer all day in the crockpot - this is a whole different end result. Instead of the pull apart tender meat I'm looking for out of the crockpot, this gives you a sliceable, prime rib like consistency. It was outstanding.

image_zpsobik694w.jpg

More than curious now

I have been looking at sous vide cookers for a while. So here are my questions. 1) Do you have to preheat? if so, 2) how long does it take the device to bring the water up to cooking temp? 3) How fast is temp recovery after applying food? 4) what is the max amount of water you would want to use to hold temp accurately?

My answer below...

I have been looking at sous vide cookers for a while. So here are my questions.

1) Do you have to preheat?
Of course :-D Unless you have a source of water at the specific temp you want to use :becky:

2) how long does it take the device to bring the water up to cooking temp?
Depends on the starting temp of the water, the target temp and the size of the tank. Using my 8 qt. stock pot with about 6 qts in it, starting at 125-ish (hot tap water) it will be at 150 in 10 minutes.

3) How fast is temp recovery after applying food?
Same tank as above, cooking 4 chicken breasts from the fridge, two or three minutes. Putting in two frozen steaks, 7 or 8 minutes.

4) what is the max amount of water you would want to use to hold temp accurately?
This unit is rated for 4-5 gallons max.

ah, i just remembered that i can get about 145 degrees out the tap, so that should help/cut out the pre-heat time.

id be interested if i didnt have to buy a food sealer for it, then the container. just to try it out $300 or so i guess

OK, so I'm totally psyched about so many different things!

Top five

1. sous vide pan fried chicken

2. chuck steaks and roasts

3. prime/standing rib roast

4. all varieties of stuffed and rolled meats

5. pan fried thick pork chops

Thanks again Ron for giving this ole boy something to look forward and read up on while waiting on this dang kidney stone to pass!:clap:

dad gum it Ron, now i'm about to pull the trigger on yet another cooking item!! :) Sous Vide.....sounds so french/exotic. I wonder if I'll be able to lure more babes over to my man cave when I mention, "hey baby, i'm cooking steaks ala "sous vide"?? :)

I use a 16 qt cooler, with the lid trimmed to fit my Anova One. I've kept it running for 5 days straight (to cook 3 separate meals, sequentially), and never had to add water. It also makes sense that there are less losses to ambient, so less heater cycling and less energy usage.
image_zpsls02dkjh.jpg

Here is a 50 hour grass-fed wagyu chuck roast I did at 135F. I've done a couple from the same steer all day in the crockpot - this is a whole different end result. Instead of the pull apart tender meat I'm looking for out of the crockpot, this gives you a sliceable, prime rib like consistency. It was outstanding.

image_zpsobik694w.jpg

Wow! you got a walk through of this??

Question on the Tri tip. Did you season after and then do a reverse sear? My favorite part of the Tri tip is the great crust from the hot sear.

id be interested if i didnt have to buy a food sealer for it, then the container. just to try it out $300 or so i guess

If you have a stock pot or suitable sized Cambro type container, you don't HAVE to buy anything else. I use a Foodsaver because I already had one, but you can also use heavy duty Ziplock bags (freezer type with double zipper would probably work best). They say if you submerge the bag and contents up to the zipper in water, it displaces enough air. The main point of the 'vacuum' is to create closer contact and thus better heat transfer through the bag to the contents. When I use my Foodsaver, I usually have to stop the suction and manually seal early anyway, since I typically have some liquid content in the bag (olive oil, etc.). And since you cook most things in the 130-150F range, you shouldn't have to worry about either type of bag (Foodsaver or Ziplock) breaking down or leaching bad stuff into the food.

I bought the Anova Precision today for $129 after the $50 discount - there was no tax and UPS Ground shipping was free.

Billy

Back