Soup?

I like making Chili or Smoked Bean soup by adding stock (or Passata or a can or two of chopped toms) to Baked Beans or Chili to 'water' it down.

We make a lentil/Italian sausage soup, and I smoke the chopped up Italian sausage before adding it to the soup... Makes a really nice addition. If you're interested, I can get you the recipe; it's based on Carrabba's

Capsaicin Conundrum
Award winning Chili Verde
1 tbsp Oil​
3fresh Poblano Chiles roasted peeled and seeded​
3 fresh Jalapeno Chiles roasted peeled and seeded​
Hot and Mild Hatch Green Chiles (I use 6-4oz cans of mild and 3-4 oz cans of hot) Fresh is better if you can get them.​
28 oz can Tomatillos​
2lbs slow Smoked BBQ Pork​
3 cloves Garlic minced​
2 small yellow Onions​
2 medium Tomatoes​
1 tbsp Red Pepper Flakes​
1 tsp Onion Powder​
2 tsp red Ancho Chile Powder​
4 cups Chicken Stock​
2 tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped​
1 tsp Mexican Oregano​
1 tsp Cumin​
3 tbsp cornstarch​
Salt to taste​
Finely chop onions and garlic and sauté in oil until soft. Add oregano, cumin, onion powder, red chile powder pulled pork and chile flakes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomatillos, chopped chiles and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 to 4 hours. Add water as necessary to maintain the desired consistency. Add 2-3 tbsp cornstarch mixed with water prior to serving to thicken as desired. Check for salt and add if necessary. Add chopped cilantro just before serving.

I'm a soup making mofo too. I just made a pot of chicken dumpling soup the way my polish grandma made it. Hreat stuff but wouldn't work well on the pit. Here's a recipe from my second book that uses a fatty and is finished in a pumpkin in the cooker. The pumpkin is pretty good but you can skip that part.

Smoked Sausage, Leek and Potato Soup Served in a Pumpkin

I think this is my favorite recipe from this book. It’s a delicious hearty soup that’s served in a pumpkin. The kids will love it. Be sure to wear heavy gloves when carrying the pumpkin into the dining room or you’ll have quite a mess.

4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups leeks, washed well, halved and sliced
3 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes
2 cloves garlic
2 cups cubed smoked sausage*
1 quart water
2 vegetable boullion cubes (I prefer Knorr brand)
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 medium pie pumpkin, top and stem removed and reserved, inside cleaned

Prepare the cooker indirect at 275 degrees. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter with the oil. Add the leeks and cook for two minutes. Add the potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the sausage and garlic and cook about another 5 minutes, or until everything is getting soft. Add all the other ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Pour the soup into the pumpkin. Replace the top on the pumpkin and place it in the cooker. Cook for about an hour, but watch it so the pumpkin doesn’t get too soft and collapse. When the pumpkin feels tender, carefully remove it to a pie pan or quiche dish. Stir and then serve. Scrape some of the pumpkin away from the sides to serve with the soup.
Yield: 6 servings
*You can use store-bought sausage, but I like to use a 1 pound roll of breakfast sausage that is smoked at 225 degrees until it reaches an internal temp of 170.

I tried to make a soup in a pumpkin last halloween, but it kept pouring out the eye, nose and mouth holes...

Back