THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

---k---

is One Chatty Farker
"Son of a Brisket!" - was an exclamation one dinner guests made to express his extreme pleasure with my brisket yesterday. Or at least that is how I took it. :becky:

This was my first brisket, and I'm proud to say, I nailed it! Well, almost. It wasn't perfect, but it was really really good. I'm willing to say it is the third best brisket I've ever eaten - only beaten by Franklin's in Austin, TX and Scottie's from Cancer Sucks Chicago BBQ team. (But, I am from Chicago, and you can't get real BBQ here.)

So on to the pron:

Here is the bad boy. 14.5# Choice Brisket. I got this one from Excel Corn Beef in Chicago. If you go to their processing facility and tell them you're a friend of Gary and ask for a brisket for smoking, they'll let you give the guy at the desk cash and they'll give you one of their choice briskets. I paid $2.25/# , and considering I couldn't find one in the western burbs, I was happy, but left wondering if his boss knows he sold me that brisket. :p
P1000089.JPG

P1000093.JPG

P1000090.JPG

I timed this up. I'm not going to show you photos of this, because I had a hard time fighting the urge to cut all the fat off. :redface: I got the stuff on bottom and sides all trimed up, and the fat cap down to like 1/8" to 1/4", with a small spots where I accidentally cut it all off. The shiny membrane on bottom stayed on, because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take it off and it was difficult to get off.

Next up seasoned up. Keeping it simple, I'm not messing with injections or anything fancy. I really wanted to do just salt and pepper, because this is how Franklin's does their mind blowing brisket. But, I didn't trust my skill, and if I screwed up the tenderness, I was hoping that I could make up for it with flavor. So, I did a very light coat of Plowboys Bovine Bold around 11:00 pm, then wrapped it and into the fridge. When I got up at 4:30am, I put a good heavy coat of 50% Kosher Salt & 50% Medium Grind Pepper on it - about 2/3 of a cup total (1/3 of each). It should have been coarse ground pepper, but I couldn't find any in large quantity. It sat on the counter for about an hour to sweat as I got the smoker up to temp. Photo before going on the smoker:

P1000111.JPG

I'm using my UDS w/ a 16" Terra Cotta diffuser. Worried about the long cook, I loaded my basket up as follows:
3/4 chimney of RO Briquettes
3 chunks of hickory
1.5 chimney of RO Briquettes
4 chunks of hickory
This ended up being the whole 11# bag of briquettes.
I also randomly threw i fist full of small pieces of RO Lump and some old/used briquette from previous burn.

It looked like this:
P1000087.JPG

P1000088.JPG

On top of this, I added 20 lit briquettes. In the end, this is WAY overkill. I don't have photos of the after, but it looked like barely anything was used. I measured the depth of charcoal at 8 1/2" in my basket before starting, after it was about 6". But, all drums vary with time, temp, etc. Since I've wrapped mine in a blanket, it has been very efficient.

For newbies:
Outside temp was 34*F My Time went something like this:

4:30 am - Lit Charcoal
4:45 am - Dump lit charcoal on basket and assemble the smoker.
5:05 am - Drum at 200, close nipples and ball 25% (closed). Heavy bad grey smoke.
5:35 am - Drum at 225 and puffing sweet blue smoke. BRISKET ON!
8:30 am - Drum slowly risen and was humming at 240. I was targeting 240 - 260*
10:00 am - Outside temps were coming up, and the drum had risen to 250*, so I closed the ball 50%
3:40 pm - Drum had stayed between 245* and 255*. Meat just hit 180*, so closed the drum ball for 5 minutes, opened and probed the brisket. The point probed like butter, but the flat was tough.
4:30 pm (11 hours) - Meat at 185*, probed again and the flat still wasn't ready.
5:30 pm (12 hours) - Meat at 192, flat still feels the same and I'm starting to wonder if I know what the heck I'm doing.
6:00 pm (12 1/2 hours) - meat at 195*, flat probed much easier, I thought it was butter.

I took the brisket off at this point. I let it sit in open foil for about 10 minutes to stop the cooking process, then sealed the the foil for 30 minute rest. Cut up and served at 7:00pm.

Here it is:
P1000115.JPG

P1000116.JPG

The flat got sliced and the point cubed:
P1000120.JPG

The results were amazing. Oddly, no smoke ring, but it had some light smoke flavor. Who cares... The bark was really good. Nice and crunchy with great flavor. A little heat from the pepper, but not overwhelming. Maybe a little too much pepper. I bet if I had used coarse ground pepper instead of medium grind it would have been perfect. I couldn't stop eating the point. It just melted in my mouth. I actually ate so much that after a while, I wasn't feeling so good - but it was worth it! The flat was a just slightly tough. It probably could have used another 30 - 60 minutes in the smoker. But it was still good. My guests were impressed. I don't think I'll have issues getting them to come back for more.

My hope now is that I can repeat this performance constantly. If I can do that, my cholesterol will likely kill me, but I will die very very happy. :becky

Thanks for all the help I've got around here. I spent a better part of last week reading through all the brisket threads I could find. I'm convinced without several of the videos and threads, I would have been a failure. I hope I made you all proud. :-D

Congrats! That brisket looks great. I agree Franklin BBQ is the best, his brisket is just fantastic. I will actually be eating at Franklin BBQ this weekend.

"I actually ate so much that after a while, I wasn't feeling so good - but it was worth it!"

That's all that matters. Hopefully your guests did the same. :mrgreen:

Those temp stalls can be nerve racking! It's hard to just wait them out and wonder what is going on with the cook! Great job waiting things out and getting a super looking brisket!

You know he is in a new location, right? Just moved this week. Got a real building. :shocked:

Yes. Thanks, we were there in February and he was talking about his brick and mortor building. I have seen pictures and it is painted just like his trailer. He is still running out of food around 1:00 or so. Good problem to have :-D Congrats again on your brisket it looks great.

Back