So, where do I start, if I'm going to start smoking? (Vertical)

Patrologia

So, let me start by saying that what I'm "really" doing this weekend and beginning of the week, is building a patio at my wife's request. Right.
But when I went to pick up my son from hanging out with a friend, I found something sitting next to a driveway with a "FREE" sign next to it.
ADYp6ua.jpg

Brinkmann, offset vertical. I have no real idea where it would rank in their lineup.
So, I think my wife will only let me keep it if it starts to produce soon, so I'm here to ask for guidance. I'm king of the burger (burger kingdoms are small) and I'm generally competent with steak, tenderloin, bone in chicken (my last boneless attempt was a fiasco, but we don't talk about it). I don't think I'm all that great, but I can make a grill do it's thing. So far, that means Weber Kettle or Weber Genesis gas. The closest I have come to smoke is trying a pork shoulder on my kettle, which went ok, but I wasn't as thrilled with the result as everyone else claimed to be.
Basically, I'm asking, where do I start? I've read through several people's "cook" posts, but that doesn't really tell me where and how to start. Never having smoked before, what is the best way to ramp up from "I know how to grill and now own a smoker" to "BBQ Brother"?

I'm not sure whether to include biography, so if you don't think it matters, stop reading here.

OK, I'm from Eastern NC, Goldsboro to be precise. A vertical smoker cannot even attempt to cook my eidos: whole hog, cooked over a wood fire, but that is nevertheless what exists as barbecue in my mind. I have enjoyed every decently cooked brisket I've been in the same room with. BBQ chicken is doggone good. Bacon is just cold smoked pork belly, right? Point is, if you know BBQ from Eastern NC, then you know what perfection would be, but I'm open to a whatever I can cook that will taste good and I'm interested in learning to use this smoker right--the alternative is that it ends up on CL and I get a few bucks for my transportation troubles, but that isn't the goal. Please point me in the way I ought to go.

I agree, first asses the condition of the smoker, and if it needs any repairs, and how much that may cost.
We all have to start the adventure some where and just maybe this is to help you get that path started.
The Brethren will be as helpful as they can in guiding you down the smoking trail, its what they do. Plus razz you too, but all in good nature.
Being from Bertie county, I know the type of Que you are talking about. That Eastern NC. Que has its own flavor and style and really is not that hard to do.

So yeah, post some pics of the workings of the smoker and the Brethren will suggest a course of action. Then you can make a good decission.

Welcome aboard the site, you will learn alot here and be inspired to up your cook and learn more.

That actually doesn't look in that bad of shape. Hopefully the insides look good. Maybe knock on the door and get a little history and see what replaced it ? Perfect to use as leverage with the wife ... " I'll get rid of it when my ????? arrives "

I would start with some youtube videos on offset fire management. Smoking is not difficult so long as certain criteria are met. I would definitely make sure your expectations are set properly and just get at it. Temp control and cook it until its done. Sounds simple but that's it. Took me a little bit to start producing great results on my Kamado, you can bet will be the same for any other type of cooker that is new to you. Good luck and I wish I would have found that. Looks to be in pretty good shape!

That whole pig is hilarious looking, but I bet it tasted just fine!

Here are a few pictures of the insides. As far as I can see, it just needs some cleaning. There's a little surface rust here and there, but nothing that will be hard to deal with. I'm not sure what other kinds of damage I might be looking for, so I'll wait for y'all's judgements. (NB: the smokestack, if that's what it's called, including a cap, are not missing, I just forgot to grab them out of the truck.)
I tried to edit the first post to reduce the picture size, I guess I'm too late.
X9aYkLBl.jpg
Fe0gwchl.jpg
R5WZDstl.jpg
m2OFNcYl.jpg
pMWOccRl.jpg
xq0941vl.jpg
u3OqOk8l.jpg
p4TJK7Zl.jpg

Looks like a well-loved cooker to me. You got a pretty good score there. You might message the original poster in the thread link in my last post and see what he advises you (if he's still around - his last login was about three years ago, but he might get an email about your message.).

That rig is very similar to an OK Joe Bandera and I suspect operates about the same. You will find a wealth of information on Banderas, perhaps more than you'd ever want.

Last edited:
Are you building a wood patio or?

Gitcha some sticks and fire that baby up!

Like others, I'm guessing that working on fire / temperature control would be the first course of action. Maybe plan on some easy and forgiving meats like chicken thighs or a pork shoulder for the first couple burns to get a feel for the beast. You must live in a nice neighborhood if people are throwing out smokers like that.

Welcome to the forum.

Are you building a wood patio or?

Gitcha some sticks and fire that baby up!

Ha! Nope, pavers, so all the wood goes to the smoker.

Like others, I'm guessing that working on fire / temperature control would be the first course of action. Maybe plan on some easy and forgiving meats like chicken thighs or a pork shoulder for the first couple burns to get a feel for the beast. You must live in a nice neighborhood if people are throwing out smokers like that.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks, that's the kind of suggestion I needed. You'll notice though that the grill was near my kid's friend's house. That block has much nicer stuff tossed out than mine!

From those melted grates, she's seen some high heat. May want to replace them. Body looks good with a little TLC. Nice score!

I’d start with Good Power Wash, then a new raised firegrate and add a battle/deflector. Then a flat lid on firebox or the Lid insert mod. cooking I'd start with Ribs and Pork Butts. Meatloaf, Spam. then Moinks and ABTS, then Brisket

THG5StAl.jpg

wvkq07vl.jpg

kKMkkt0l.jpg

Last edited:
After looking over those pics, I would say you got a great score there!!!
She needs some clean up and some new racks, and that deflector, but you should be cooking in no time!
Start with those forgiving meats and learn how she works. Heck you will be doing Hog in no time!!!

Welocme to the forum, you've found the right place. Fair warning, it can be hazardous to your waistline and wallet:mrgreen:
Great looking score! :clap2:

Download the Bandera 101 document, you've got a clone.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42718

I'll second Smitty with cleaning up the cook chamber and install a baffle to direct heat under the water pan, and get a fire grate that's up off the floor. This is a stick burner, don't flatten your wallet trying to run charcoal for a whole cook.

Get some refrigerator biscuits, space them around the racks to get an idea for hot and cold spots during your first cook. I rotate the shelves down the chamber during a longer cook to compensate. This may result in grease spots on your new patio though...

Dust some bacon with a sweet rub and do a fatty, chicken and pork butt are fairly forgiving, tri tip smoked then reverse seared in the firebox is a favorite.

Agreed with the guys here, pork butts are very forgiving and good for practicing your BBQ skills like fire management.

Vertical offsets are great. Yours looks like it's in fine shape. Use small splits because these cookers tend to be pretty efficient compared to a horizontal offset. Keep some water in that bottom pan or move it higher up and away from the firebox opening to act as a baffle. If you run it dry in the factory position the drippings from the meat will probably vaporize and leave a nasty dark grease condensate on whatever you're cooking. I don't bother with a baffle or water pan most of the time and use the top half of the cooker. Bear in mind that each rack will probably be a different temperature, hotter near the top.

Several of you suggested new racks, either for the fire grate or for the cook box. Where should I get those, seeing as brinkmann is out of business. Can I just take what I have to the restaurant supply store and get whatever matches? And material considerations—especially for the fire grate?

Back