Snow's and Mueller's with Frognot

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Gore (surprise!)
Finally got around to figuring out how to post some pics. Last Saturday, I was in College Station and Frognot graciously came down to meet me at Snow's. We were to meet at 7:00am. I was late and he was early, but we made it in without problem.

40799348462_829a1169bc_b.jpg

This is the line, when we hit the porch, about 8:15, I'd say.

40799348552_7a2bc90e69_b.jpg

We were served about 8:30, so not a huge investment of time. Snow's is currently ranked #1 in Texas, or the world, depending on your viewpoint, and they're only open one day per week. Of course, these rankings are a stochastic process and I don't put a whole lot of weight in them. I figure anything in the top 10 is going to be pretty darn good, and it was. I admit that I have had better brisket, and I have had better ribs, but this was a complete package and everything was really solid. I also had a couple slices of pork steak, which is sliced shoulder. I'd never had this at a restaurant before and it was excellent also. I've cooked a similar product myself for years, but never knew it was a thing before. For some asinine reason, I didn't seem to have taken any pictures of the food! :doh: Either I was too tired or too wiped out. But I did get a picture of Tootsie afterward.

40799348802_469d174ace_b.jpg

I'm guessing this photo was taken around 10:00 and shows the line when we left.

40799349152_88c9b35472_b.jpg

We then made the drive to Louie Mueller's in Taylor Texas. I think we lined up about 12:30 and were eating about half an hour or so later.

40841259711_01fc9fd374_b.jpg

40841259571_ff865c780a_b.jpg

Frognot went with the rib and sausage, I got the brisket and a pork rib and we only had enough room for some sampling. To both of us, this seemed a step up from Snows. The beef rib was the best I've had and the brisket was excellent. Frognot said the beef rib even rivaled that of Silverfinger, which is as high praise as I've heard. Frognot didn't much care for the seasoning on the pork rib, while I liked it, although I wouldn't necessarily go back for more, as I'd be ordering brisket and one or two of those beef ribs. Maybe in much earlier days. I'd probably be sharing one of those beef ribs with my wife. As you can see, it is on the large size.

40799349452_b8a954a7ed_b.jpg

I just want to add that I picked up a pint of pulled beef to take home. Some 11 hours later it made it home. We had some next day and it was excellent.

Finally, just want to add a picture of brisket and ribs I had at Black's in Lockhart last December. I definitely hit them on a good day as this brisket is some of the best I've had.

40841259751_6bcf8a038b_b.jpg

How am I supposed to sleep at night now? Before I used to rely on the fact that Gore was protecting the world from the imminent return of Hale Bopp, but with you not remembering to take pics of the food at Snow's, my confidence is waning

That beef rib looks great, although, it is a daunting task to reach Silverfinger comparison...

I was just a Louie Mueller on Saturday morning. One thing they do win is, slowest line. The BBQ is decent. My opinion is some of the Houston joints like Corkscrew and Truth are better. Snows is an odd one. They don't even use prime brisket. Everything is good, but not great. I did like their sausage the best out of the TM Top 10.

I've been waiting for these! :whoo:

Glad y'all did that and have pix! I really like both those spots - well all 3 incl. Black's.

Love the pork steak at Snow's for sure! Did y'all get the banana pudding?

One thing about the Snow's/Mueller's run is that you can't really do much afterward but lay there like an anaconda that's just swallowed a goat. :shocked:

Very cool y'all - loving it!

How am I supposed to sleep at night now? Before I used to rely on the fact that Gore was protecting the world from the imminent return of Hale Bopp, but with you not remembering to take pics of the food at Snow's, my confidence is waning

That beef rib looks great, although, it is a daunting task to reach Silverfinger comparison...

I've never had the privilege of a Silverfinger steak or rib. It is on my bucket list. :thumb:

I was just a Louie Mueller on Saturday morning. One thing they do win is, slowest line. The BBQ is decent. My opinion is some of the Houston joints like Corkscrew and Truth are better. Snows is an odd one. They don't even use prime brisket. Everything is good, but not great. I did like their sausage the best out of the TM Top 10.

We must have just missed you. Corkscrew, Truth, and Killen's are on my list. Might make Houston next month.

I've been waiting for these! :whoo:

Glad y'all did that and have pix! I really like both those spots - well all 3 incl. Black's.

Love the pork steak at Snow's for sure! Did y'all get the banana pudding?

One thing about the Snow's/Mueller's run is that you can't really do much afterward but lay there like an anaconda that's just swallowed a goat. :shocked:

Very cool y'all - loving it!

It was a nice run. For the few days prior, I couldn't figure if I was suffering from allergies or a cold. When I got home that night I realized it was a cold. Hope Frognot survived. Sorry, no to the banana pudding. Frognot brought kolaches with him, so I was already starting at a disadvantage. Definitely felt like the airplane seats had shrunk on the return flight.

What a great review! Had been wanting to go to Snow's so this was the perfect opportunity to do so and finally meet a long time online friend. It was a nice Spring day and conversation flowed easily. After an hour an a half we made it to the door.
I don't usually have BBQ for breakfast but was told by Greg (gtr) to try the pork steak (an item seldom found in Texas) so I tried it along with some brisket. However, missed Greg's suggestion for banana pudding so didn't try it. Like Gore, also forgot to take pictures of our food (blame the early hour).

We ate outside in the covered area by the pits and dug in. Brisket was good but pork steak was the winner with me. Will definitely be trying to cook that in the future.

We headed to Taylor and there was just a few folks in line at Louie Mueller's at 1045 (they open at 1030). Wasn't really hungry so went to Texas Beer Company (one block away or four blocks by my phone's GPS). Enjoyed a flight of local beers and chatting with the bartender (he's friends with the pitmaster at Stiles Switch who used to work at Mueller's) and prepared for round two of que. The line was longer at 1200 but just a twenty minute wait.

I think Louie's is such an iconic place in Texas (opened in 1949) and really enjoyed the smokey ambience. I got the beef rib and a Hatch pepper sausage and sampled the brisket and pork ribs. The beef rib was so perfectly done and the brisket was some of the best I've ever had. Luckily had brought an ice chest for leftovers.

Gotta give the win that day to Louie Mueller's but Snow's was a close second. It was great getting to spend time with Gore while enjoying food from places deemed #1 and #5 BBQ in Texas.

I've been privileged to meet a lotta folks on this site and if y'all have the chance to meet a Brethren, definitely do so. A good opportunity to do so is next Saturday at the Spring Texas bash (hint, hint).

Attachments

• 7JUHK7T.jpg
    7JUHK7T.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IjEYUOu.jpg
    IjEYUOu.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 144
  • ZH25TsZ.jpg
    ZH25TsZ.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IClfyUy.jpg
    IClfyUy.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Gz0bcXZ.jpg
    Gz0bcXZ.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 145
Met peeps at The Growler Bar in Pflugerville Friday (he was unable to join us the next day) and he had suggested Texas Beer Company and the beef rib at Mueller's. He is super busy but so mostly lurking nowadays and wanted to tell everybody Howdy!

Attachments

• PbRPZbW.jpg
    PbRPZbW.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 145
Great post guys. We've been to Mueller's and as stated the brisket was awesome. Wife tried the pork rib and it was OK, wish we had gotten a beef rib and will if we make it back.

Had the pleasure of meeting Frognot and if you can take his subtle hint and make it to the Texas Bash, or any of the others if you can. The Brethern we've got to meet are really a great bunch of folks

Very cool, Charles!

Speaking of the hatch chile sausage - that stuff you sent me was fanfarkingtastic! I dug it out the freezer a week or 2 ago.
Cooked it up and was all like this ---->:shocked: :whoo:

The only bummer about all this is that I wasn't there with you farkers! :doh:

And yes - meating Brethren is a great thing to do!

Charles, you do get around. Great to see you at two Bashes and looking forward to seeing you at the N. Texas Bash again. (Hint Hint). Should be a great time.

Good to see Gore too. Come on over this way and get some serious good BBQ and Cajun next time your down this way. :thumb:

Thanks Charles, I had a great time also. I can't believe you didn't get a food-pic at Snow's though. I thought I was the only one who lost his mind. :doh:

I really wish I could make that bash next Saturday, but I'm off to Germany next Saturday. I love German food, but in this case, I know I'm going to be missing out. :tsk:

I miss peeps. His beer reviews were spot on. Maybe someday he’ll come back as beer of the month quarter year or something. Hooray beer.

Thank y’all for the road trip and reviews.

Last edited:
Thanks Charles, I had a great time also. I can't believe you didn't get a food-pic at Snow's though. I thought I was the only one who lost his mind. :doh:

I really wish I could make that bash next Saturday, but I'm off to Germany next Saturday. I love German food, but in this case, I know I'm going to be missing out. :tsk:

Oh hell yes!!!
Been waiting for this reportage Phrog and Gore...good to see all y'alls had a Phabulous time!
...and a picture of Tootsie...epic!:cool:

Where and how long are you staying in Germany Gore?

Oh hell yes!!!
Been waiting for this reportage Phrog and Gore...good to see all y'alls had a Phabulous time!
...and a picture of Tootsie...epic!:cool:

Where and how long are you staying in Germany Gore?

Thanks Phubar! It was a great diversion that I'll remember forever, like cooking on the beach in Sicily. I'll be in the Frankfurt area for about 5 days. It is to visit my daughter during our spring break and I have no idea about any details because she never answers any of my text questions. :doh: In the past week, I found out from my wife that it is also her spring break, but heck, we don't even know if she is planning to do anything with her friends or spend it with us, or what. :doh:

Back