Smoking on a Big Green Egg

BeerNBrowns

All,

This is my first post here. I caught the bug last year after I was given a Brickman vertical propane cooker. Since then I have smoked pretty much anything I could get my hands on, and even made a few modifications to my cooker. I would love to upgrade to a horizontal off-set cooker, but have not been able to convince the Mrs yet :biggrin1:

Recently a good friend of mine picked up a Big Green Egg, he got the large one. We cooked steaks the other day at nearly 800 degrees, it was great! Anywho, we are going to try out a brisket next weekend. Does anyone have any tips/tricks on cooking with a BGE?

I plan on using Oak or Hickory. I got ahold of some logs from a tree my Dad cut down a while back that I was going to split up.

John

It's easy :-D

Fill the firebox to the top of the ring with lump mix in a few wood chunks. Light it in the center and let it sit with the bottom vent open and the lid open until the firs gets going, then close the lid and put on the top with the vent open. Once the temp gets within 50 degrees of your target temp close the bottom vent down to about an inch and close the top vent, leaving the daisy wheel open. Watch the temp at this point and keep closing the bottom vent as it approaches your target. My large egg runs at about 250 with the bottom vent open about 1/4" and the daisy wheel open.

Once it is stable add the platesetter (legs up) and a drip pan and the grid and let it stabilize again, then put on the meat. Don't mess with the vents. It will take 15-20 minutes but it will come back to temp. If you do adjust the vents give the Egg 10 - 15 minutes to respond. Don't chase the temps. Trust the egg :-D

BeerNBrowns I'm assuming that your friend also bought a plate setter (heat deflector). If I'm doing a overnight or long cook 10-12 hrs. I always start with fresh lump, clean out the firebox and add large pieces of lump on the fire grate and then the rest of your lump. When getting your egg ready to smoke make sure that you bring the temperature on the egg up slowly. If you start with a hot fire it will take awhile for the temp to drop as the egg really holds the heat. I usually light my egg an hour or so before I'm ready to cook to ensure I have the temp I want ensure a clean burn and also to ensure that the temp holds where I want it and it's not going to creep up. When you add your meat to the egg the temp will drop, leave the air adjustments alone as your temp will will go back to where you set it once the external temp of the meat rises. I like to foil my plate setter just to make cleanup easier. No need to soak your wood chips or chucks. Hope this helps.

You are going to get a lot of tips on brisket here. I have an egg and i finally feel as if I have mastered brisket after many many fails.

here are my tips....

1.)always use a fresh cut; defrosted cuts never come out well for me.
2.)rub with yellow mustard and then liberally apply your dry rub
3.)fat side up
4.)fill a water pan/drip pan with a couple of cans of soda or beer and place it on the plate setter. this is the key for me and many egg afficiondas swear this is not neccessary but it never fails me.
5.)Pit temp no higher than 275 degrees. between 250-275 is ideal
6.)wait till internal temp is 190 degree and/or probe tender.
7.)drink a ton of beer and take photos and post back here the finsished product!

I really like to smoke meats on my Egg I cheat and use a Guru which you don't have to do A lot of people set and forget it

Thanks for the advice! I'm real excited for the first smoke, and I don't even own the thing. I was sort of skeptical about the BGE, but after seing it, and grilling on it, it seems like the real deal. If the smoke goes well I might consider getting one myself. My buddy built a nice table to fit the egg in that has plently of space.

If you decide to use a drip pan, raise it off of the platesetter with three 1/2" balls of foil. If not, all of the drippings will burn to a crisp and affect the taste. At 275 dome temp, the platesetter could be well above 500-600 degrees. The drip pan needs an air gap!

Last edited:
No advise just a wish for good luck with your brisket.
Cooking on the BGE is easy and the result will good.
Enjoy your cook.

If you decide to use a drip pan, raise it off of the platesetter with three 1/2" balls of foil. If not, all of the drippings will burn to a crisp and affect the taste. At 275 dome temp, the platesetter could be well above 500-600 degrees.

Great tip!

The key to a good cook on my big green egg is proper fire building in the beginning. I always clean out the ash, make sure all vent holes in the basket are clean to promote good air dispersion, and pile in the charcoal and smoking wood. Just remember that adding charcoal during a cook is no easy task so I make sure I am full on charcoal before a long cook.

You put big pieces of lump in the bottom and use medium size to fill in the gaps This promotes airflow Go to the Naked Whiz site and check the info on ceramic cookers The Egg is really easy to cook on I have never had to add charcoal during a cook I always use lump

Any suggestions on what I should look for in a good brisket? I have only smoked a brisket once, and got a decent sized one at Costco. I know the manager of the meat department at a local grocery store chain that usually has pretty decent meat. Usually when I ask him for a piece of meat he tries to find the best one that he can find at the store in the morning before it opens.

Lots of great advice here. Like others have said, its easy to start chasing temps. Once you adjust the vents it'll take 10-15 minutes for the egg to adjust. Sometimes I'll make VERY slight adjustments to either the daisy wheel or bottom vent (like a couple taps with a finger)

Once the egg is settled in it should run pretty stable.

Lots of great advice here. Like others have said, its easy to start chasing temps. Once you adjust the vents it'll take 10-15 minutes for the egg to adjust. Sometimes I'll make VERY slight adjustments to either the daisy wheel or bottom vent (like a couple taps with a finger)

Once the egg is settled in it should run pretty stable.
Cuda1965 do you know Scott, aka Texaswig? He is an Egghead who also lives in Grenville TX.

When you pick your brisket make sure it's very limp. Take it and hold it by the point, a good one will fall almost 90 degrees from horizontal. If it sticks straight out it won't be as tender as the limp one.

Back