Smoking Boneless Chicken Breasts - advice needed please

slider2021

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
The Dark Bark
I am making skinless, boneless chicken breasts and will be smoking them on my Traeger. I am using a homemade rub and cut the breasts in half. Most of them are 5 inches long and about one inch thick.

What temp should I cook them at? Time?

Internal temp when finished?

Any help is appreciated

Thank you and Happy Father's Day to all of the dads out there!

Low for 30-45 minutes and crank it to 275. 165 internal. 10 minute rest.

I'm good with a 275° pit temp, but I brine all white meat and I pull it just shy of 160°. At that internal temp you only need to hold it 30 seconds and all bacteria will die. If you wait and pull it at 165° the bacteria is instantly killed, but you risk dry chicken.

This article explains the 7log10 bacteria reduction using time and temperature, and it's got some chicken photos of various internal temperatures.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/chicken/chicken-internal-temps-everything-you-need-to-know/

i did not brine the chicken. I prepped the chicken at 10:30 am today with my rub. It is now sitting in the refrigerator waiting to be put on the pit.

I'm gonna keep it at 225 and keep an eye on temps. When it hits 165, I'll pull it off. My guesstimate is about 2 hours

I'm good with a 275° pit temp, but I brine all white meat and I pull it just shy of 160°. At that internal temp you only need to hold it 30 seconds and all bacteria will die. If you wait and pull it at 165° the bacteria is instantly killed, but you risk dry chicken.

This is exactly what I was gonna say.
Especially with skinless chicken. Always take the time to brine.

How do you guys brine your chicken? Might have to smoke some chicken on the 4th of July since I’ll have a guest that doesn’t eat pork or beef.

Back