Smoking baby back ribs

txgolfer45

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Scott
I just finished a smoke of three racks of baby back ribs in my WSM 22. I applied a dry rub from Angelo's BBQ in Fort Worth, TX. Overall, I was pleased with the effort. They stalled at around 180 degrees. I ended up wrapping in foil and finishing in the oven. As expected the thinner end of the rack was over done. But, the rest of the rack was nice and juicy. I'm thinking of just cutting off the dried ribs and serving the remaining ribs. I guess another option would be to foil 3 - 4 inches of the thinner part after 3 hours to protect from drying out. I sprayed apple cider vinegar on the racks periodically after 3 hours in the smoker.

Thoughts?

Try cutting the raw rib into 2 sections (thick and thin) and just start the thin section a bit later into your cook.

I never worried too much about it on baby backs because I haven't had dried out ribs on the thin part as you described.

Guess I've been lucky. :tongue:

I smoke on an offset and just put the meaty end toward the firebox.

Last edited:
I remember 10+ years ago Baby backs were " small " and had a good amount of fat. Now they are thick and all lean meat. For that reason i no longer buy baby backs. I buy spares and trim them down to St Louis and save the trim for rib tips.

Last edited:
Sounds like your fire was too hot......

ie you cooked em fast and hot.

Cook Position, temp and heat type are key.

Back