Smokefire vs RT 1070?

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
Wondering if anyone has experience comparing these. I’m interested in them both when my MB Gravity rusts away and am familiar with the SF issues that appear to have been resolved. While I know both will do low and slow very well, I’m curious how the 1070 measures up to the SF when high temp grilling. Seems the SF would be better since it provides direct flame. The 1070 seems to be more of an oven and you would be reliant on getting the grates super hot to sear. Any real world experience, advice, or opinions? Thanks!

Have used neither but have read a ton! If you are after a pellet cooker that can handle both ends of the spectrum, out of the 2 you mentioned, my vote would hands down be the SF :)

If I were to roll the dice…. SF would be my vote. I think it has the “edge” because you can get some direct flame, but you have to be careful with the grease for longer cooks. I think the flavor profile it gives is a different level. Good luck. you probably can’t go wrong either way.

If I were to roll the dice…. SF would be my vote. I think it has the “edge” because you can get some direct flame, but you have to be careful with the grease for longer cooks. I think the flavor profile it gives is a different level. Good luck. you probably can’t go wrong either way.

I have a Masterbuilt gravity 1050. I fear no grease fire. 😂

I got the smoke fire ex4 last October. It has been consistently in consistent! I have had a few good cooks! Also had many bad cooks. The latest problem was the fire got out of control and I had pellets burning up the augur and started to burn in the pellet hopper. Had to unplug and fill the pellet hopper with water to extinguish. Wasted a bunch of pellets. So I am waiting on weber to deliver me a new gas grill, and take the pellet disaster back. It's been a long time since I've had a gas grill. I have a Lang patio 36 and a 26' kettle. I was hoping the pellet grill would be easy for the wife to use during the week. Unfortunately I was wrong so we are going to have a gas grill for convenience.

I had my from smokefire since June 2020 to Feb this year and the only thing that went wrong was the glow plug plug burned up and that could have my fault doing a relight. If you're worried just get a warranty from wherever you buy it but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Whats your budget? May be better alternatives if budget is on higher side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the smoke fire ex4 last October. It has been consistently in consistent! I have had a few good cooks! Also had many bad cooks. The latest problem was the fire got out of control and I had pellets burning up the augur and started to burn in the pellet hopper. Had to unplug and fill the pellet hopper with water to extinguish. Wasted a bunch of pellets. So I am waiting on weber to deliver me a new gas grill, and take the pellet disaster back. It's been a long time since I've had a gas grill. I have a Lang patio 36 and a 26' kettle. I was hoping the pellet grill would be easy for the wife to use during the week. Unfortunately I was wrong so we are going to have a gas grill for convenience.

Yikes!

I really don’t want to go higher than $1,500.00, but I’m not married to that.

Lsg makes good quality pellet grills that can sear. You are at $2500 pre shipping tho. I am in category of swallow pill once and pay more for product that suits my needs. This is why I went with memphis when Ingot mine. Biggest mistake of my life selling that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing sears like a SmokeFire. That’s even compared to MAK and Memphis. However, mine came with more headaches than it was worth and I now own a MAK. The MAK can grill pretty decently, but you have to remove flame zone covers and it helps to use their sear grate. The Weber all you had to do was turn up the dial.

My SmokeFire issues were all firmware/software. I removed the finger guard, lubed the hopper with food safe silicone spray and only used Weber pellets (though Lumberjack should work the same) to avoid flameouts. I never had a grease fire as I always used drip pans on low and slow. Usually I cooked LnS on the upper rack with a pan on the main grate.

Mine would just not regulate temp well. One cook it would be spot on, the next it would be off 75° high or low depending on its mood. Food probes would freeze mid cook. When reverse searing one day it would go from 225 to 525 in less than 10 minutes. The next, the temp would stay at 225 for 20 minutes and then finally decide to start rising. My pellet grill is my busy/lazy grill and I need one that I know what it’s going to do 99% of the time. Predictably less than half the time wasn’t acceptable to me. I patiently tried to wait it out for 9 months hoping Weber would get it together, but then moved on. The food was some of the best I’ve had from a pellet grill, but the MAK has been just as good since. It would be hard to go back to a Traeger or Camp Chef though after realizing the differences some pellet grills can have with smoke flavor.

Nothing sears like a SmokeFire. That’s even compared to MAK and Memphis. However, mine came with more headaches than it was worth and I now own a MAK. The MAK can grill pretty decently, but you have to remove flame zone covers and it helps to use their sear grate. The Weber all you had to do was turn up the dial.

My SmokeFire issues were all firmware/software. I removed the finger guard, lubed the hopper with food safe silicone spray and only used Weber pellets (though Lumberjack should work the same) to avoid flameouts. I never had a grease fire as I always used drip pans on low and slow. Usually I cooked LnS on the upper rack with a pan on the main grate.

Mine would just not regulate temp well. One cook it would be spot on, the next it would be off 75° high or low depending on its mood. Food probes would freeze mid cook. When reverse searing one day it would go from 225 to 525 in less than 10 minutes. The next, the temp would stay at 225 for 20 minutes and then finally decide to start rising. My pellet grill is my busy/lazy grill and I need one that I know what it’s going to do 99% of the time. Predictably less than half the time wasn’t acceptable to me. I patiently tried to wait it out for 9 months hoping Weber would get it together, but then moved on. The food was some of the best I’ve had from a pellet grill, but the MAK has been just as good since. It would be hard to go back to a Traeger or Camp Chef though after realizing the differences some pellet grills can have with smoke flavor.

Was your SF Gen1 or Gen2?

The only differences between Gen1 and Gen2 were a welded auger chute and an insert for the hopper. Mine came from Weber as a Gen1, but I finally got them to send me the parts and updated them. I’m not sure the insert did anything to improve pellet feeding. The welded chute was more of an over time issue where pellet dust would accumulate in the original 2 piece chute.

FYI, The new Stealth edition of the EX6 has some additional changes to the hopper, burn pot, and glow plug assembly.

Back