THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
Has anyone done a comparison of these two? I realize they are different setups (pellet vs GF charcoal), but they are both aimed at the same customer. Anyhow, I’m aware of the problems with the SF, and am reading up on the MB 1050, but I’m wondering how real world performance compares. Quality of product and longevity. Would love to hear your opinions!

I think there's better options out there than either of those, but NFW would a DumpsterFire be a consideration. I couldn't return my EX4 fast enough.

I think there's better options out there than either of those, but NFW would a DumpsterFire be a consideration. I couldn't return my EX4 fast enough.

Same here. Died within 2 weeks. Saw a TV commercial for one yesterday. I couldn't believe it.

That has been my concern with the SF but was hoping some of the issue were being ironed out. However, if there are fundamental design flaws, thats a different story.

As for the MB, it is interesting. Just concerned over build quality.

For what they cost, I think a lot of people would honestly be better served saving a little longer and getting a better quality unit from a lesser brand, meaning one with less name recognition.

I "parked" the EX6 in the garage while I argue with Weber. I recently decided to go big or go home and bought a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 2000. Solid build with 7 gauge steel. I though my Yoder was built well (it was) but it's only 10 gauge. This is one awesome smoker. Temps are spot on and only fluctuate a few degrees and it has room. Lot's of room. If there is one downfall, It's that it take a while to get all that metal up to temperature but it's worth it.

That has been my concern with the SF but was hoping some of the issue were being ironed out. However, if there are fundamental design flaws, thats a different story.
Who in their right mind would put grease drains on either side of the burn pot?

Just as an example, you can get an RT590 and comp cart for EX6 money.

Have you asked Weber to take it back and refund your money? I had a problem with mine and just asked them to take it back and they did. Not even an argument.

I "parked" the EX6 in the garage while I argue with Weber. I recently decided to go big or go home and bought a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 2000. Solid build with 7 gauge steel. I though my Yoder was built well (it was) but it's only 10 gauge. This is one awesome smoker. Temps are spot on and only fluctuate a few degrees and it has room. Lot's of room. If there is one downfall, It's that it take a while to get all that metal up to temperature but it's worth it.

I owned an EX6 and sent it back. I would stay away from it. If you wanted to take a look at different pellet grill I check out Rec-Tec in that price range.

I have a friend that has a 1050 and have eaten off of it. The food is good and it's easy to run. Nobody can really answer the longevity question yet.

Have you asked Weber to take it back and refund your money? I had a problem with mine and just asked them to take it back and they did. Not even an argument.

Here's the problem. I bought it off Amazon and Weber say you need to get the refund through them. Amazon only accepts returns for 30 days. I bought it in February and really didn't use it much. From March until now it's been a constant struggle back and forth with Weber. I've taken the thing apart and sent pictures like they asked. Upgraded the software. Basically, I've been a smoker mechanic for them. They sent me an email this week, not referencing the problem, just saying parts are on the way. So I have a new auger shoot and pellet ramp with a better angle sitting in my garage.

I'm a controls and automation engineer and I'm pretty sure the problem is the controller, not mechanical.

I'm pretty sure I wasted $1200 on a boat anchor. I just want to take it out back and shoot at it but my wife won't let me.

Everyone here here talks about Weber's great service but I'm not seeing it.

Here's the problem. I bought it off Amazon and Weber say you need to get the refund through them. Amazon only accepts returns for 30 days. I bought it in February and really didn't use it much. From March until now it's been a constant struggle back and forth with Weber. I've taken the thing apart and sent pictures like they asked. Upgraded the software. Basically, I've been a smoker mechanic for them. They sent me an email this week, not referencing the problem, just saying parts are on the way. So I have a new auger shoot and pellet ramp with a better angle sitting in my garage.

I'm a controls and automation engineer and I'm pretty sure the problem is the controller, not mechanical.

I'm pretty sure I wasted $1200 on a boat anchor. I just want to take it out back and shoot at it but my wife won't let me.

Everyone here here talks about Weber's great service but I'm not seeing it.
Sorry for your troubles, the only thing I'd ever buy from Weber anymore is a Kettle.

I have 2 kettles and a WGA. They're great. If I could just get the EX6 to hold temp, I would use it as a grill for quick cooks. Since I bought the P&S, I don't need the EX6 to be a smoker.

I can't comment on the Weber, having only looked at one in a showroom while they guys were pulling a 1050 out of the warehouse for me. I got the 560 back in the middle of January, wasn't really aware there was a larger one coming out several months later. Did some fine cooks on the 560, briskets almost like they came out of a stick burner, ribs, sausages, pizza, chicken, corn, ABTs and had raves over all of it. Only problem was it was on the smallish side in the grill area. 1050 came out and my wife got tired of my drooling and said if you want it, get it. So I sold my PK360 and got the 1050. First things, it looks like the 1050 was given a little more thought on the design and ergonomics. Porcelain coated cook chamber instead of bare metal in the 560. Charcoal hopper better location of lid hinge. Of course, the folding front shelf, but it needs to be larger. And the cooking area. I don't like to crowd food in on a grill and I haven't had to do it on the 1050. The way it's put together just makes it more solid, although the metal seems about the same on both.

I have the EX6 and couldn’t be happier. My Pastor has one too, I helped him set it up. Low temps... amazing! High temps... the same. My experience has been nothing but positive so far.

I have the EX6 and couldn’t be happier. My Pastor has one too, I helped him set it up. Low temps... amazing! High temps... the same. My experience has been nothing but positive so far.

Glad to hear it. My experience hasn’t been that good. I want it to work but am not having much luck.

Back