THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
Prepped the turkey breast for tomorrow - a little Dukes Mayo as a binder - and then Meat Church Texas Sugar Rub - really like the color

Also prepped a twice baked potato casserole and a green bean casserole - used cream of jalapeño soup instead of cream of mushroom and fried jalapeños instead of fried onions

Will update tomorrow during the cook and upon completion - going to fire up my Blue Smoke Smoker by Big Phil and smoke everything during tomorrows football games

Prepped the turkey breast for tomorrow - a little Dukes Mayo as a binder - and then Meat Church Texas Sugar Rub - really like the color

Also prepped a twice baked potato casserole and a green bean casserole - used cream of jalapeño soup instead of cream of mushroom and fried jalapeños instead of fried onions

Will update tomorrow during the cook and upon completion - going to fire up my Blue Smoke Smoker by Big Phil and smoke everything during tomorrows football games
Looks amazing.
Thank you for sharing.
Can't wait to hear results.
JD

Verdict - pretty darn good - didn’t find the rub to be sweet or hot - just a well balanced rub - would recommend if on the fence

Smoker fired up and doing its thing - 2 splits kept temps between 275-300 for an hour plus

Turkey at 130 degrees - put some parkay on it and when it hit 140 - I wrapped in butter and pulled at 155 - then let it rest for an hour

Here are the 2 casseroles

The finished product

Great review of the rub not to mention the fantastic meal. Really like that smoker too. Got their page in my favorites now

It’s a great smoker - 3/8th steel pipe - both cook chamber and firebox - keeps a great coal bed

Tx Sugar rub...

Verdict - pretty darn good - didn’t find the rub to be sweet or hot - just a well balanced rub - would recommend if on the fence

Smoker fired up and doing its thing - 2 splits kept temps between 275-300 for an hour plus

Turkey at 130 degrees - put some parkay on it and when it hit 140 - I wrapped in butter and pulled at 155 - then let it rest for an hour

Here are the 2 casseroles

The finished product

Man overall sounds fantastic.
I've got to say I'm a little disappointed in the rub.... meaning, based upon Matt Pittman's review, I hoped it would be sweet and spicy. Sweet and spicy is one flavor profile I want to have in my tool kit.
Wouldyou assume a pinch of cayenne and a dash of brown sugar would bring out the sweet & spicy in that rub?
JD

I am not a fan of overly sweet rubs - so that may have been one of the reasons I enjoyed -

To up the heat on things I generally will add some jalapeño dust -

I bet the brown sugar would do the trick on the sweet side !

I am not a fan of overly sweet rubs - so that may have been one of the reasons I enjoyed -

To up the heat on things I generally will add some jalapeño dust -

I bet the brown sugar would do the trick on the sweet side !

Thanks Hojo,
Never heard of jalapeño dust. Will need to look that up. How does that differ from cayenne?
I'm looking to use the Tx Sugar on burnt ends.... Ring bologna burnt ends to be specific. An experiment I hoping to do this weekend.
Will report back.
I'm serving those w/ smoked turkey breast : )
JD

Back