Smoked Razor Clam Chowder on the Campfire

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
IMF
It is Razor Clam season up here in the Great Pacific Northwest and MSD makes a great clam chowder.
We decided to give it a twist by smoking the clams and making the chowder in a Dutch oven on the camp fire!

Start with the players – 1 limit of razor clams (15), Bacon, 12 potatoes, onion, celery, carrots, evaporated milk, clam base, white pepper, corn starch, Half and half - only if it gets too thick.
View attachment 104224
Since we are going to cook on a camp fire, you gotta get it going to get a good bed of coals
View attachment 104225
Chop the clams in various sizes so you get good flavor but also a nice big hunk of clam once in awhile
View attachment 104226
I smoked the clams on a fine SS screen in the GMG using the start sequence three times turning it back down before it hits temperature to just get some smoke flavor on the clams without cooking them.
View attachment 104227
The clams are all smoked and ready
View attachment 104228
Here is the campfire cooking setup. I use a couple pipes to support a SS grate and move the Dutch oven where I need it for the desired temperature
View attachment 104229
Gotta have all the ingredients close by and ready. The potatoes are chopped into chunks and soaking in water to just cover. ¼ cup of clam base and ½ teaspoon of white pepper in the water.
View attachment 104230
Bacon gets cooked up first. Just about done but not crispy
View attachment 104231
Add the celery and onions
View attachment 104232
Let the mix get happy until the onions at just barely cooked
View attachment 104233
Add the Taters and liquid
View attachment 104234
Bring to a boil and boil until the taters are soft while stirring occasionally
View attachment 104235
The add the carrots and the clams
View attachment 104236
Get it all heated up again
View attachment 104237
Then add the evaporated milk
View attachment 104238
Once it gets all heated up again, add a mixture of corn starch and water to thicken it up. If you go too far just add a little half and half until it is at desired thickness.
We like ours so the spoon will just stand up in it.
View attachment 104239
Dished in a bowl
View attachment 104240
It is a treat when you get one of the big pieces of clam!
View attachment 104241
MSD likes hers with butter, black pepper and tabasco
View attachment 104242
I like mine with a little Oakridge Habanero Death Dust!
View attachment 104243

The smoked clams added a nice touch to the flavor and cooking it on the campfire added a touch of love and was just fun to do

Of course adult beverages sitting at the campfire was a requirement to follow up!

Thanks for lookin!

Last edited:
SD that looks delicious!! Great looking campfire too! The weather is too cold for camping here, I'm going to have to wait til spring.

Incredible! I could go for a bowl about now.

I've never heard of clam base. What's in it?

Not exactly sure. I expect it is concentrated clam. This little secret was passed down to MSD - both her parents were cooks!

SD that looks delicious!! Great looking campfire too! The weather is too cold for camping here, I'm going to have to wait til spring.

Thanks. It was in the low 20's here. After the cook, I stoked the fire up real good and enjoyed some adult beverages around the fire. At the end of the night, I walked inside and slept in my bed! Love haveing a camp fire in my yard!

Back