THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
John
I know that crock pot cooking on a forum like this is sorta taboo in many ways, but you know what? I love my mom's pot roast that cooks all day in her crock pot. I have three crock pots that get used for nothing more than keeping chili warm when I take it places so I got to thinking a little this week...

I bought a 3lb chuck roast and was trying to decide what to do with it in the name of Q. I decided to try a smoked pot roast and see how it turns out...

20111023_PotRoast_202.JPG

I started out with some baby red potatoes, carrots, garlic, onion, cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, and a little Sierra Nevada Glissade...

20111023_PotRoast_203.JPG

I setup the one touch gold for a little indirect cooking with some kingsford blue, a couple apple chunks, and the fire bricks to bank it to one side...

20111023_PotRoast_204.JPG

I gave my chuck roast a rub down with mustard and dusted it with Montreal Steak seasoning...

20111023_PotRoast_205.JPG

I put all my non-meat ingredients in a 5qt cast iron dutch oven and set it on the kettle...

20111023_PotRoast_206.JPG

I tossed the chuckie on beside it and put about 10 lit coals on one side of the unlit charcoal and covered it up... gonna cook this in the realm of 250° until the meat hits about 195 degrees. I'm gonna cook the veggies uncovered for about two hours and then cover it up and add a little more beer if needed...

We'll see if this can hold a candle to mom's pot roast late tonight sometime...

It's been going for about three hours now... I put the lid on the veggies a while ago and gonna let those cook on up for several more hours. The meat isn't up to 140 yet so it may be a good while longer. I have let the temp ramp up to about 285...

20111023_PotRoast_207.JPG

I pulled the chuckie off at an internal temp of 170° and foiled it for 45 minutes...

20111023_PotRoast_208.JPG

Sliced it to check it out...

20111023_PotRoast_209.JPG

Cut it up...

20111023_PotRoast_210.JPG

Put it in the dutch oven with the veggies and stuff, covered it, and will let this simmer for an hour before I get to dig in :)

JM you are loving your cooking aren't you? I recognize the signs. Nice looking chuckie. Like to see you having fun!

I'm having a blast. Especially since I found this place. I have always loved cooking... well.. loved it since I moved out on my own from the parents (quite some time ago.) Frozen pizzas, ramen, and Kraft mac and cheese got old pretty quickly. This Q stuff is just all new to me. Up until recently, my outdoor cooking over fire didn't go far beyond gasser burgers, dogs, and steaks. I'm slowly learning that just about anything I could previously cook inside in the oven can be cooked outside over fire with some potentially tasty results. The custom handle on my kettle made this pot roast especially awesome :)

Back