Smoked meatloaf and ABT's

cheez59

Quintessential Chatty Farker
We are making Father's Day dinner for my FIL this afternoon. Ms Gwen's meatloaf is one of his favorites. She makes it and I smoke it. We haven't had ABT's in a while so I made a small batch to go with the loaf.

I'll post another pic of the finished product(s) in a couple hours.

Last edited:
Hey man long time no see! How about a cooker shot? Are you using the LSG? Would like to see that thing in action! If you don't have time that's cool :) Can't wait to see how it works out!

That's a good looking tray. From here, that meat loaf looks like an alligator head. Meat loaf is one of my very favorite cooks.

HAHA my brother said it looked like a crab with short legs. Smoked meatloaf is one of our favorites too.

Hey man long time no see! How about a cooker shot? Are you using the LSG? Would like to see that thing in action! If you don't have time that's cool :) Can't wait to see how it works out!

I'll hook you up on the next cook. I had already shut her down on this one.

Wow, that meatloaf looks incredible.

I am definitely going to try one too now.

If you ever smoke one you will never cook another in the oven.

Mighty Fine Sir! I see you never let your meat loaf. :thumb:

Never!

Looks great, I will be by for a sandwich tomorrow.

Thanks brother. Bring it on up and I'll fix you one.

That looks excellent I have tried meatloaf on my Egg Cant get it right
I have tried several different recipes and they were all good but most of them lacked a little something. I've found a couple things to be key between good and great smoked meatloaf.

#1 is quality beef. I only use fresh 85% ground round or ground sirloin.

#2 is to make the loaf, put it on some sort of screen like the one in my pic and get it real cold before putting it on the smoker. Getting it cold keeps the loaf from falling apart while cooking and helps get a pretty smoke ring. The screen makes it easy to slide it on and off the smoker plus it allows the fat to get away from the meat.

#3 is to smoke it at 250-260 or less. This allows for a good crust. If you cook it too hot the crust will get hard and crunchy before the internal gets to 165-170 which is my target temp.

Recipe is as follows:
3 pounds of 85% ground round
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups of oatmeal
1 can of vegetable beef soup slightly spun in a food processor
1 medium onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
1 T Worchestershire
1 T minced garlic
1 t kosher salt
1 t black pepper

Sautee the onion and pepper until slightly soft. Lightly beat the eggs then combine all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and thoroughly mix it all up with your hands. Form it into a loaf and put it on a screen. Put screen in the fridge for 2-3 hours or if you are in a hurry about 30 minutes in the freezer works just as well. Smoke at 250 with your favorite smoking wood until IT hits around 150. Then glaze it with your favorite BBQ sauce warmed up a little . Continue cooking until IT hits 165. Remove it from smoker and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice and enjoy.

That looks most excellent, Sir, as I figured it would coming from you! Happy Father's Day Cheez, you're one of the classiest fellas I know on here!

I generally don't like meatloaf...too many bad, dry, overcooked loafs with a hard boiled egg in the middle as a kid.

Yours makes me want to try one again.

Back