Smoked Elk Chili

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
So along with the 3 pork shoulder blade roasts and the fatty I cooked this weekend, I decided to smoke some elk for chili. Elk is pretty lean and although it makes a decent chili on it's own a little bit of fat from beef or pork goes a long way. Turns out I have a lot of trimmings from pork butts and briskets in the freezer so with a little bit of hunting through the freezer I was set to go.

I always start trying to find with some recipe I think I'm going to follow but after I can't decide which my chili always winds up being kitchen sink chili. Never been disappointed but I always feel like it can be improved or needs tweaks.

Word to the wise, don't do what I did and saute very spicy peppers. Our house was like it got pepper gassed and I almost got a divorce with both kids started coughing.

I used:
2# of ground elk
?# of pork trimmings
?# of brisket trimmings
1 red bell pepper
1 onion
1 celery stalk
1 carrot
1 can tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic
some dried chilies soaked in water - chipotle, arbol, piquin
smoked a fresh jalapeno while the smoker was on
chipotle powder
few tablespoons of chili powder
cumin
sage
salt
red wine

And now for the PRON

Smoked Elk
_AUkbWSydtAsu5DTCeblD0InwZ5YnElK0ZxCCIWxn6IeJxFPc

Smoke Pork Chopped
aE_HhpSWaLyRMg7BuspzQuH4D5CLATUorqn52rweuBgeJxFPc

Brisket trimmings
TB9vDRo5SAs5fsT0vUFxrODDefd8z7-KLTpA_PI_JVEeJxFPc

LOTS of steps missing but basically browned everything, sautéed the veggies, added the spices and sautéed them in, added the tomato paste, blended the soaked peppers and smoked jalapeno with the diced tomatoes, added that to the pot, simmered away, adjusted flavor to taste then ended up with this.

YDkvwsaoHjJnKG-y_lKy3ac3361NTfP6nS-_bh2oEg4pX92IB

Here's a bowl shot, to which I eventually added avocado and fresh jalapeno but I was too hungry for that shot.
7x-R0YKYFE8X2oa9P2QdgGe6koooULeWXw14ElkWuCUeJxFPc

At the end I adjusted the flavor with, dont' ask me why I just thought it would work and it did, tamarind paste. Needed a little salt but I got a little heavy handed with that so I might need to add beans to fix it but as of today it's all good.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
I can see it—- in my brain. I love soup stew chili season. I’m going to freezer grabbing a pound of deer pound of chopped brisket and a pound of breakfast sausage. Within 48 hours I too will be eating chili. Hell Yea!!

You did fantastic.

Back