Smoked Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
In between jobs at the moment and I had a little extra time to work on my To Do list. A man (or woman) has to eat when doing chores, so I decided to smoke a meatloaf to provide a dinner and several sandwiches.

Kinda loosely followed Alton's recipe here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-meat-loaf-recipe.html

Mixed the following for my loaf:

1.5 # Prime Ground Chuck
1 # chub Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage
5 oz bag Garlic Cheddar Croutons (processed to crumbs)
2 Eggs (raw scrambled)
Spices (K salt, pepper, chile, chipotle, onion, garlic, accent, whatever looked good)
1 can Spicy Rotel (drained)
4 oz grated Cheddar Cheese

Gently mixed all that up in a bowl. Lined a loaf pan with saran wrap and put half the mixture in the bottom. Added the rest of the cheese to a trough in the middle, and then topped it with the rest of the mixture. Pressed it in good to get a good loaf shape and then turned it out on my grill pan.

IMG_5106_zpslsoykkve.jpg

Onto the WSCG with a chunk of cherry. Was going for smoke first, so low and slow, but later opened it up to get a bark on it.

IMG_5108_zps2welmcng.jpg

When it got an IT of 165*, I glazed it with a mixture of Whataburger Spicy Ketchup and Sriracha. Let it heat a little longer to set.

IMG_5112_zpsamqgff4y.jpg

IMG_5113_zpsx0rxnvyt.jpg

Sliced in half to see the cheese and hint of a smoke ring.

IMG_5114_zpsd0qbzrvz.jpg

Cut off a couple slices for my dinner.

IMG_5115_zpsmhvn2tbm.jpg

Served with some green beans with a little ranch on them. Yeah, I know, I'm weird. Something My Grandmother used to do. Good stuff...

IMG_5116_zpspp2yq9xn.jpg

Rest of the loaf was sliced and then put in the fridge for sandwiches the next day. Plated with some Hatch Chile chips.

IMG_5119_zpsm7xubnda.jpg

Only thing I was missing was Sourdough bread (I remedied that issue today).

IMG_5118_zps4gyjxs63.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Looks great Terry!

Very cool the memory of Grandma's recipe. :)

Thanks Y'all.

Tom B, yeah, it was almost a shame to glaze it, but it tastes so good glazed...

Ok. That looks great! I guess I'm stuffing my next one with cheese.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That looks awesome, nice job!

Just something about meatloaf. It's good hot, it's good cold, it's good for sandwiches, problem is no matter how large you make it, it never seems to last.

Lloyd, once you smoke one, you'll never want to have it from the oven again. Take your favorite recipe for meatloaf, then smoke it instead. Ten times better...

Back