THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
I saw a video out on social media land recently of a smoked beef shank that kind of got me wanting to try one. My local farmer friend must have must have thought the same thing since he texted me a link to the same video about 2 days after that and asked if I wanted a shank. :becky:

So.......just over 7 lbs

3jmW5iO.jpg

Trimmed of the silver skin and miscellaneous stuff that didn't look too nice and hit it with a simple rub of kosher salt, black pepper, and granulated garlic and let it hang out in the fridge overnight.

5D2Sx1Z.jpg

Yesterday morning, I got the smoker going and put it in there @250 with cherry wood for the smoke. I checked on it every hour or so and spritzed it with some beef broth.

IxFPtXq.jpg

I wanted to be able to pull the meat and figured 8 hours would be enough time to get that accomplish.........at 10 hours, I brought in in and went the sliced route after a 30 min or so rest. :cool:

HNIESE6.jpg

Meat came off the bone pretty easily but still held together in the different muscles. Bone weighed 2 pounds if you were wondering.

irE5tUL.jpg

Sliced some, chopped some, and kept a big muscle intact to run through the slicer tonight.

00uOK78.jpg

This thing was excellent, but I wish I would have given it a little more time or run hotter........wrap it and braise it even, to be able to pull it. Guess, I'll just have to do it again. :becky:

Back