Smoked Beef Shank

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
I saw a video out on social media land recently of a smoked beef shank that kind of got me wanting to try one. My local farmer friend must have must have thought the same thing since he texted me a link to the same video about 2 days after that and asked if I wanted a shank. :becky:

So.......just over 7 lbs

3jmW5iO.jpg

Trimmed of the silver skin and miscellaneous stuff that didn't look too nice and hit it with a simple rub of kosher salt, black pepper, and granulated garlic and let it hang out in the fridge overnight.

5D2Sx1Z.jpg

Yesterday morning, I got the smoker going and put it in there @250 with cherry wood for the smoke. I checked on it every hour or so and spritzed it with some beef broth.

IxFPtXq.jpg

I wanted to be able to pull the meat and figured 8 hours would be enough time to get that accomplish.........at 10 hours, I brought in in and went the sliced route after a 30 min or so rest. :cool:

HNIESE6.jpg

Meat came off the bone pretty easily but still held together in the different muscles. Bone weighed 2 pounds if you were wondering.

irE5tUL.jpg

Sliced some, chopped some, and kept a big muscle intact to run through the slicer tonight.

00uOK78.jpg

This thing was excellent, but I wish I would have given it a little more time or run hotter........wrap it and braise it even, to be able to pull it. Guess, I'll just have to do it again. :becky:

Back