smithfield ribs from walmart

I'm going to try them this weekend and if my score tanks I'm blaming you and Sterling:clap2:

I picked up 4 racks from Wally World last night and they look pretty good. We used them all last season.I will know more about them after tonight after I trim them. :shock:

Where are you guys finding the Smithfield Prime butts?

Thanks for your interest in Smithfield Prime! If your information for your location is current, I am not seeing anything in North Carolina at this time, unfortunately. If you are actually located somewhere else or want me to check another state, please let me know. Thanks again and best wishes!

Thanks for your interest in Smithfield Prime! If your information for your location is current, I am not seeing anything in North Carolina at this time, unfortunately. If you are actually located somewhere else or want me to check another state, please let me know. Thanks again and best wishes!

Can you check and see if anything is available near me in CT? My zip is 06905.

You can search stores by location on the walmart site. You can then check by location to see if they have inventory. We have lot's of WM's close by but only the super stores carry ribs and butts. YMMV.

I got some of these ribs today and was very surprised at how flexible they are in the cryo. Is everyone seeing that, not sure how a bend test will work for doneness

Just unusual to see this.

upload_-1

I bought two racks because of this thread to try them this weekend, my first comp is next weekend

it worksfine you dont want them stiff as a board in cryo

It will be fine, however I do like them when they first put them in the case from the back. The "juice" is good, but if it's swimming in it that usually means they've been out for a bit.

I'm on my way to Wally in the morning to cook some of the Extra Tender next to my current fav that I can find, the St. Louis cut from G.S Swift.

I love the side-by-side tests

Mine bent just like Akoda's in the cryo. I was surprised too, but bought them. I usually like racks that are slightly heavier. Cooked them side by side with my usual ribs from Meijer this weekend in Indianapolis. I thought they were great and turned them in. We scored OK - 13th. Guess I should have cooked a couple of Smithfield butts too. Them Indy judges are tough on pork. Yikes.

I tried cooking a rack today. The rack I purchase was pretty flexible too. Cooked it like I would at a comp and it came out pretty good. Sorry no picks. The bones were pretty straight. Will try it out the next time I compete.

I have yet to cook these but the bending thing is going a bit far don't you think? Maybe it's just a different cryovac? I have yet to see any rib not be able to easily bend in a tight circle

Last edited:
At my wally world the meat guy is lost, many of the racks had a lot of juice and some were nearly frozen. So I don't blame the ribs but maybe the conditions they were in. The ribs tasted good though but I think cook times need to be adjusted

If you are going to try these ribs you might consider adjusting your cooking time.

I picked up a rack this past weekend and cooked them like I do a normal rack that I got from RD. When I removed them from my foil pack just about all of the ribs had popped out. If I try these ribs again I will start checking them 30 minutes earlier.

Are you guys finding any good bones on yours? I cruise over and check them out a couple times a week and find that they are tiny on one end, like two inch bones, with about three usable bones on each rack here locally. Anyone else find these like that?

I found the same thing, but seeing that on a lot of pre trimmed St Louis cut. Pondering switch to BB's, bones are more consistent

Are you guys finding any good bones on yours? I cruise over and check them out a couple times a week and find that they are tiny on one end, like two inch bones, with about three usable bones on each rack here locally. Anyone else find these like that?

Back