smithfield ribs from walmart

I like that they come in single packs but I am having a hard time getting them to score for me. They are a little different but I am not sure how. I know people have had good success with them just not me. I am going to give them another shot this weekend before I go to a different brand.

i have not used them in a comp yet, but did cook a few racks of them a few weeks ago and I thought they looked and tasted great! I'm strongly considering cooking them at our next comp.

I gahter from the posts that the "enhanced" ribs are NOT a violation of KCBS rules?

"No pre-seasoned meat is allowed other than manufacturer enhanced
or injected products, as shown on label EXCLUDING but not limited to teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected ."

By rule, they are permitted.

Their ribs might be OK but I have had really bad results with their butts. Meat was all pale and grey and the flavor was not up to par. I switched brands and am getting calls in pork again.

Their ribs might be OK but I have had really bad results with their butts. Meat was all pale and grey and the flavor was not up to par. I switched brands and am getting calls in pork again.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Poppa provided us with some Smithfield butts out at the Guinea Pig this year and I fell in love with them and I've been cooking them ever since. Been in the top 5 in pork in 4 out of my first 6 contests. The money muscles are a little short, but they are as big around as a soda can!

Last edited:
Could be different in different regions. I used to use them prior to their being bought out by some Asian company and they were OK. I have heard quite a few in our area who have had negative results with them. If there is any "enhancing" to do, I prefer to be the one doing it. I don't like to see the term "self basting" on my competition meat.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Poppa provided us with some Smithfield butts out at the Guinea Pig this year and I fell in love with them and I've been cooking them ever since. Been in the top 5 in pork in 5 out of my first 6 contests. The money muscles are a little short, but they are as big around as a soda can!

I do like the Farmland (Smithfield) Prime ribs. We have one local store that usually has 20-30 racks, so I can sort through them.

Back