Smithfield Extra Tender

If you knew they were overdone when you wrapped, who did you cook them for almost 2 more hours?

True story......I had some ribs that were over done this year when they came out of the foil, instead of saucing and returning to the pit. I sauced and left on the prep table.

7th place ribs and RGC!....as Butcher told me in class, you need to be a situational cook!

Are you cooking on a drum? When I've done ETs on my Jambo, it's usually a 2 hour smoke and 1.5 wrapped at 290, but I always check them early. ETs cook a tad quicker than nonenhanced in my experience. I'm not sure what the timeline of the drum guys are, but I know they're quite a bit quicker than my Jambo.

I've found them to cook a little quicker too. I did a rack at 275 in 3.5 hours yesterday, others brands have been taking 4 hours.

Are you cooking on a drum? When I've done ETs on my Jambo, it's usually a 2 hour smoke and 1.5 wrapped at 290, but I always check them early. ETs cook a tad quicker than nonenhanced in my experience. I'm not sure what the timeline of the drum guys are, but I know they're quite a bit quicker than my Jambo.

What else do you do to them? :grin:

I cooked five butts this weekend for family and friends. I was surprised to see my local wal mart had the Smithfield et butts. They had already been carrying the ribs. But this was the first time I had seen the butts.

They cooked up real well. I nuked pretty good because I was cooking for family and friends and not comp style but I thought they turned out real tasty. I also got a larger yield than I normally do which was a pleasant surprise

Based on that experience I would not hesitate to use them at a comp.

Anyone noticed really small bones and even some ribs tips left on the St Louis cut? I didn't have any to pick through so I got stuck with what I could find. I obviously know guys are winning with these, so I think I just got unlucky with the ones i.ended up with. Maybe I'll try buying whole spares and trimming down next time. Don't want to.just give up on them.

Anyone noticed really small bones and even some ribs tips left on the St Louis cut? I didn't have any to pick through so I got stuck with what I could find. I obviously know guys are winning with these, so I think I just got unlucky with the ones i.ended up with. Maybe I'll try buying whole spares and trimming down next time. Don't want to.just give up on them.

I have tried something off of every St Louis cut rack of ribs I have ever used in competition, crooked, tips, chine bone and hanging chads.

Back