THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DarkStar11

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Kevin
Have to admit, I'm embarrassed to ask what is likely a basic propane question here, but here we go... :oops:

I recently picked up a 4.25# propane tank for car camping with the griddle. When trying it out tonight, I noticed the top of the tank was cold and there was condensation forming. I've never experienced that with 20# tanks, which are the only other bulk tanks I've ever used. The griddle continued performing fine, the flame was blue, heat was steady.

Google results indicate high humidity or a regulator issue. Humidity was around 75% today. I was running the (single burner) griddle wide-open.

Is this a common thing with such small tanks during high fuel consumption or do I potentially have a problem? I'm assuming the griddle wide-open is a pretty hungry burner. I've only had this griddle for a few weeks and haven't really paid attention to the fuel consumption.

Thanks.

That can happen with any LP tank. Propane gas is under pressure when it's stored in a tank, and in that pressurized state it's turned into a liquid, hence the name LP gas. When you turn on the valve to your stove, the liquid propane turns into a vapor which cools very rapidly. If the outside air is very warm.... the result is condensation on the outside of the tank. The condensation stops near the gas/liquid interface level in the tank. So the more condensation you see, the fuller the tank.

The same thing happens when you make an icy glass of your favorite beverage, and take it outside... the glass sweats.

Thanks! I figured there was no issue since it was still burning fine, but having never experienced it with 20# tanks (or maybe just never noticed it), it seemed prudent to ask.

If it's getting cold while you're using it, no worries. The explanation above is correct. If it's doing that when you're not, then it's probably leaking.

Any tank will do it if the demand/flow is creating a significant vaporization from liquid to gas conversion. When I boil crawfish, with a 60lb. regulator, creating 250,000 btu's, it extracts propane out of the tanks fast enough to create an ice ring on the outside of the tanks. I actually get better flow rates when the propane tanks are sitting in a warm water tub.

Pull demand on a tank hard enough and you can feel the cooling line on the side of the tank, with your hand, like thirdeye stated, and you can use that to determine your tank's supply level.

Sounds like your griddle pulled hard enough for you to see the conversion as condensate.
And very normal with our humidity levels.
Your good to go!

the tank temp is how the stickon tank fuel gauge works , where the liquid level is where the coldest temp will be when using you gas cooker. I like having 2 tanks in case I run out

Back