20 lb propane tanks?

razor488

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Chris
I just bought a Loco griddle and the instructions say to use a 20lb propane tank with the dimensions below. It seems like everybody only carries 15lb tanks though... Home Depot, Lowes, Kroger etc only have 15 lb tanks.

Where do you find 20 lb tanks that you can easily exchange or fill up?

Dimension: 12" diameter, 18" high, 20lb capacity

Don't know if you have ACE Hardware stores in Texas, but I have bought 2 20lb Manchester Propane tanks from them in the past year. They weren't cheap ($52) but they are nice tanks and get great reviews.

You can usually find a used propane tank on Craigslist/Marketplace for cheap or free. I get my propane tanks filled from a propane shop. Like Smitty mentions you only get around 15lbs when you exchange them. Usually a propane shop will fill close to the 20lbs and usually ends up being cheaper in cost.

I'd grab two tanks if you can. Always good to have a backup tank.

They are stamped with a 5 year expiration date. This is per DOT regs. Check the date stamped on the cylinder.

I have a couple I'll give ya.
I refill @ the hardware store.
You'll pay extra at Walmart, etc. with the exchange deal just for the convenience.

Yup.... Exchange services are a total ripoff. Convenient yes but you're paying quite a bit more "per pound" when compared to a fill center.

The advice on having a spare is spot on. Although as I look around my set-up it pains me to think I currently own five tanks and actually have a device for each. Good thing they don't go empty at the same time.... $$$$$$

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BernzOmatic-20-lb-Empty-Propane-Tank/4076498

I would highly recommend avoiding Blue Rhino or Exchange, or any of those other exchange programs. Spend the money and buy your own 20Lb tank (linked above at a Lowes in Ft Worth), and then you can get it filled in many different places. Tractor Supply was always the most convenient for me as it was cheap, quick, and super easy. I'm not seeing any Tractor Supply's in Ft Worth though, so you can also just search around a bit for propane in your area.

Those Blue Rhino/Exchange programs charge high prices and only fill the tank to 2/3 or 3/4. They do this as a "safety" reason, but essentially they're charging you for 4.6 gallons of propane and only giving you about 3.5 gallons.

Find a used one on CL or MP for $10-$15, if not in good condition exchange it at WM otherwise get it filled.

One caveat to not skip the exchanges like Blue Rhino. When I need additional tanks I post on Facebook or Craigslist or whatever site you have. Ask if anyone has old rusty tank they want to get rid of for free. Then take it to the exchange. Saves you money on buying a new tank. The supermarket guys don't care. Blue Rhino tests and fixes or trashes bad tanks. You get a tank for just the price of propane exchange. Then you can fill it anytime at a real propane place.

One caveat to not skip the exchanges like Blue Rhino. When I need additional tanks I post on Facebook or Craigslist or whatever site you have. Ask if anyone has old rusty tank they want to get rid of for free. Then take it to the exchange. Saves you money on buying a new tank. The supermarket guys don't care. Blue Rhino tests and fixes or trashes bad tanks. You get a tank for just the price of propane exchange. Then you can fill it anytime at a real propane place.

Yup! This is what I do also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8~15 years ago when propane got really expensive, they started putting 15# of propane in instead of 20# to save money.

I was part of the class action lawsuit for fraud. Now they advertise those 20# tanks as 15#. This has nothing to with safety and everything to do with "shrinkflation".

Thanks for all the advice guys. Tractor supply is about 20 minutes from me but there is a Uhaul dealer closer. Will Uhaul fill to 20 pounds?

Edit - not to change the subject but I just bought a Loco 36 inch griddle. The instructions say to use the 20# tank but is there any reason you can't use any other size of tank? Also is there any reason you can't use a natural gas conversion kit made for Blackstones on it? Loco says there isn't a conversion kit they endorse/approve of for this griddle.

Thanks

My local ACE fills to 20#, also most equipment rental places will refill too.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Tractor supply is about 20 minutes from me but there is a Uhaul dealer closer. Will Uhaul fill to 20 pounds?

Edit - not to change the subject but I just bought a Loco 36 inch griddle. The instructions say to use the 20# tank but is there any reason you can't use any other size of tank? Also is there any reason you can't use a natural gas conversion kit made for Blackstones on it? Loco says there isn't a conversion kit they endorse/approve of for this griddle.

Thanks

The U-haul closest to me does, so I would expect that they all do.

Menards does as well, for reference.

The instructions say to use the 20# tank but is there any reason you can't use any other size of tank?

I'm sure the instructions say that along with "mount tank securely as shown in diagram "x".... Larger cylinders won't fit that mount and would have to stand upright on their own. Likely a liability thing more so than anything else.

Back