Slicing Dino ribs?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello folks,
I know this seems like a really dumb question, but which way does the grain run in beef Dino ribs? I’ve got a huge 3 rib rack and we’re serving 4 people. I want to slice it to serve. What’s the best way to slice them?
Thanks in advance!
JD

Slice in between each bone, then slice the meat on top of each bone perpendicular to the previous cut. The grain mostly runs in the top of bone > top of meat surface direction, somewhat upwards and diagonally.

You can kind of see the grain direction in each of these pictures.

Last edited:
Slice in between each bone, then slice the meat on top of each bone perpendicular to the previous cut. The grain mostly runs in the top of bone > top of meat surface direction, somewhat upwards and diagonally.

Thank brother,
That’s exactly what I needed to know.
JD

You could remove the bones prior to cooking. I did this once when i wanted to Sous vide to a steak like texture. I used a deboning knife and just slowly scrape the meat off the bone going down the line until all bones are removed.

What I like to do is to cook the rib rack whole, then stand the cooked ribs up on a board and take a knife and follow right down a bone skipping every other bone so every portion has 2 ribs. Then take the bone you sliced down and pull it sideways and it will slip right out if the ribs are fully cooked. Now you have single bone/double rib meat. The ribs will pack much easier with half the bones gone, assuming you're going to wrap them and put them in a cooler with a hot brick and take them to a party. These are some mighty meaty ribs!

panCutBeefRibs.jpg

What I like to do is to cook the rib rack whole, then stand the cooked ribs up on a board and take a knife and follow right down a bone skipping every other bone so every portion has 2 ribs. Then take the bone you sliced down and pull it sideways and it will slip right out if the ribs are fully cooked. Now you have single bone/double rib meat. The ribs will pack much easier with half the bones gone, assuming you're going to wrap them and put them in a cooler with a hot brick and take them to a party. These are some mighty meaty ribs!

panCutBeefRibs.jpg

those look like beef back ribs. I believe the op is talking about short ribs or chuck ribs.

you really want a bone per person if your going presentation and even then sometimes you only get 3 good looking portion out of a 4 bone rack.

you can remove the meat from the bones whole (it almost falls off when done if you oull the membrane) and slice it into portions against the grain to make it go further

Interesting..

Never heard of the hot brick trick, brilliant!
Yeah, I'd never heard of the hot brick trick either.

In the past, I packed my wrapped meats in a cooler layered between towels....

I found between the towels and cooler...stuff stayed downright hot in there for hours and hours and hours....

Yeah, I'd never heard of the hot brick trick either.

In the past, I packed my wrapped meats in a cooler layered between towels....

I found between the towels and cooler...stuff stayed downright hot in there for hours and hours and hours....

I find that pre heating the cooler with hot water works also. The when i am ready I just dump the water and pet in the wrapped meat

Back