Skeptical, but we'll see - smoked tri tip today

SVTNate

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Nate
First off, this is on an RT-590, so half of you will say "it's fine, you aren't really smoking it anyway!" lol fair point.

I saw this Meat Church BBQ video recently -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBI9CCjPRc&t=419s

I've always been a "treat tri-tipi like a big steak and sear it medium rare" guy. Even the Costco prime 2-pack I bought for this experiment doesn't have a ton of fat in the meat, and none on the exterior.

But hey, it's a 2-pack, so I have one in the fridge to grill for dinner if this goes horribly wrong.

First step - rub just like brisket. I still had a Ziploc bag in the pantry with salt/pepper/Lawry's from my last brisket cook, so I dusted the tri-tip and let it rest on the cutting board for 15 minutes while I fired up the Rec-Tec.

Modified cook - I've got a timer set for 2 hours at 180F "smoke" setting.

Rolling smoke - she's looking pretty, I did a thorough cleaning yesterday inside and out.

DwYoLiQ.jpg

A sunny October Sunday in SoCal. The smoke tube just sits in there, I'm not using it today. This is a half hour into the cook.

mraL8ju.jpg

To be continued...

Just goes to prove my point…

YouTube is the main reason there is so much bad bbq out there these days.

I hope it goes better than I expect :)

I've done maybe 6 triskets and they turned out great every time. Just get one prime or better with good marbling. I think most people assume people who cook tri tip low n slow believe they think it's better than the traditional way but that's not the case. I just look at it as another way of cooking it.

I have only cooked 1 cowboy ribeye that was about 3.5 lbs, best steak I have ever tasted, Sucklebusters 1836 and set to smoke for about 2 hours, I refrained from a sear and let the spices do the talking. was recovering from Covid and I don't know if I will ever be able to repeat, that and it cost me $13 and change for the steak lol let the spices and the meat speak without burning either, you might be surprised

Cooked to tender internal of a little over 200, rested in the oven under foil for over an hour.

This is fine, but I won't do it again. It's tender, sure, and smoky, but a little on the dry side. Not something y'all need to try. Just not enough fat in this cut, as I suspected, and foiling with butter doesn't change that. Still, good eating, I just prefer good ol' sear over lump on the Weber and serve medium rare and juicy.

Anyway, on to the pics.

fGk7Ze2.jpg

rySrYLn.jpg

Hey who's to say I didn't screw it up somehow?

I was highly suspect with a lean cut, even at prime grade... I was proven right.

I followed the Meat Church BBQ video step by step.

Looks great. The shape of that cut will always make it difficult to cook. When the ends are done the middle isnt... when the middle is done the ends are burnt. Still, yours looks good. Throw some sauce on it and enjoy.

I haven’t tried this yet for the exact reasons you mentioned and thought too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Meat Church did a smoked queso vid a while back, I think I'll be trying that at some point.

I shoulda tried it last night, and dunked this tri-tip in the queso! lol

I had a similar experience with tri-tip, I’m with you and don’t think I’ll try it again as well.

Back