Sitting in line at Franklin bbq

On my BBQ bucket list, I have ONE thing. Well right now anyways. To cook a whole pig haha

My question is what's so great about the "experience"? I mean I've seen it multiple times "You don't go to Franklins for just the brisket but for the experience too".

Like the OP did, I would be interested in the pit tours, but really what do you gain from the pit tours other than seeing the pits? Any good information on the pits them selves?

To me it just seems like Franklin is just the hollywood celebrity equivalent of BBQ. Just would like to understand a little bit about what makes taking the journey to Franklins such a great experience.

Of course this is coming from a guy that stays home 90% of his time. I don't do public/social things. Not my cup of tea. So maybe the experience isn't for me!

Like I said in the previous post, I'm not bashing anyone for going to franklins. It's great there's someone out there that can produce something so good that keeps people coming. It's also awesome that the people who go there, gets great food service and enjoy themselves!

The way I see it, if it makes you happy just do it! Even if its to wait in line for the best brisket around!

That makes two of us...
I can learn plenty from his videos and don't hafta stand in line to do it...

Those that can't do the line should try La Barbecue. Brisket is just as good, other meats are better and hardly any wait. Plus they want you to walk around the cookers and bs with the guys. Best bbq experience I ever had was there. I spent twice as much time talking to the pit masters as I did in line and eating. Texas hospitality at its best.

I apologize for the mini-hijack...

Ok, Don't get me wrong here. I bet you anything that Franklin's produces some great brisket! As from what I gather probably the best at least in the States if not the world.

Why wait in a line like that? I couldn't even handle being the first person in line and waste my entire morning/afternoon/day waiting in line talking to random strangers.. I guess I'm not a people person but I would rather go some where else or eat at home.

Sure, the food is phenomenal, but I could easily find something better to do with my time than wait in line for a brisket. Don't think even Franklin's is that important to me to kill 4-6 hrs in line.

Not trying to be negative, but I'm just wondering why anybody would do this? Is the brisket that rewarding for the time spent in line? Because from all the posts and things I read about Franklin everything else they cook seems pretty sub-par.

I dunno, for me it would not be worth my time waiting for it.

Yes, waiting in line for 4 1/2 hours to eat BBQ seems a bit crazy, but we had a great time ( I guess it doesn't take much to entertain us.) We were visiting relatives in Austin and they had never done the Franklin thing but had always sought an excuse to do so. We provided that excuse. It was a nice Texas hot morning so we packed a cooler, a few chairs, and hit the road a tad later than originally planned. When we arrived the line had already snaked down Branch Street, turned the corner onto Juniper and reached the end of Franklin's property. "Do we want to do this? Well, heck yeah, why not. We'll sit in chairs and visit, what else could we be doing this morning?"

Shortly after flopping our hind quarters down in chairs one of Franklin's employees came down the line and when she got to us she asked "what will y'all be eating?" We told her and she said we would be guaranteed fatty and ribs and that the wait would be about 4 1 /2 hours.

We started chatting with the two guys in front of us, two dentist from Germany, who were also in line for the first time. We talked BBQ, their methods, where you from, what you do, etc. The folks in back of us were from Japan.

I walked up to the front of the line and spoke to the couple at the door. What time did you get here, I asked. "Oh, just about 5:20." Why? "We wanted to be first in line they replied." Have you done this before? "Yes, 6 times, but never first in line." I'm starting to think cults like in Waco or something. Must be some dang good eats in there I'm musing.

Walking back down the line I pick up some pink umbrellas, advertising some medical facility, to take back to the family. It's now only about 10:00 or so and the door doesn't open until 11:00. I chat up some more folks and find that they are from all over the place, the furthest being from Australia. There was a scattering of locals, and I noticed that most in line were 20 to 30 somethings. I was feeling something of a dinosaur.

The doors opened and we moved our chairs up 10 to 20 feet which continued to happen in 15 to 20 minute intervals. After 3 hours we finally made it into the shade under the building overhang which was supporting the pits. Benji, a partner of Franklin, made regular visits down the line, reassuring folks, answering questions, and telling the unfortunate at the end of the line that they more than likely would not be getting anything but chopped pork or turkey.

Once inside the door it was another 30 minutes to reach the counter. The "slicer" guy was really nice and threw on some short bones and some turkey in addition to the fatty brisket and pork ribs that I ordered. We finally sat down to eat and immediately realized that it was well worth the wait. "How could that be, one might ask." Well, it just is. This coming from well over a combined 200 years of BBQ cooking and eating folks.

Maybe this explains "the experience," maybe not. I was just a fun and memorable time with family with good eats thrown in. Look at it this way. If you and your family were doing a cook at home you would no doubt be doing many of the same things we were doing while waiting in line; talking, laughing, drinking, and just plain enjoying the day, all the while knowing that there was good eats to be had. I felt like I was in Franklin's back yard attending a party with friends, family, and strangers. I would do it again.

Yes, waiting in line for 4 1/2 hours to eat BBQ seems a bit crazy, but we had a great time ( I guess it doesn't take much to entertain us.) We were visiting relatives in Austin and they had never done the Franklin thing but had always sought an excuse to do so. We provided that excuse. It was a nice Texas hot morning so we packed a cooler, a few chairs, and hit the road a tad later than originally planned. When we arrived the line had already snaked down Branch Street, turned the corner onto Juniper and reached the end of Franklin's property. "Do we want to do this? Well, heck yeah, why not. We'll sit in chairs and visit, what else could we be doing this morning?"

Shortly after flopping our hind quarters down in chairs one of Franklin's employees came down the line and when she got to us she asked "what will y'all be eating?" We told her and she said we would be guaranteed fatty and ribs and that the wait would be about 4 1 /2 hours.

We started chatting with the two guys in front of us, two dentist from Germany, who were also in line for the first time. We talked BBQ, their methods, where you from, what you do, etc. The folks in back of us were from Japan.

I walked up to the front of the line and spoke to the couple at the door. What time did you get here, I asked. "Oh, just about 5:20." Why? "We wanted to be first in line they replied." Have you done this before? "Yes, 6 times, but never first in line." I'm starting to think cults like in Waco or something. Must be some dang good eats in there I'm musing.

Walking back down the line I pick up some pink umbrellas, advertising some medical facility, to take back to the family. It's now only about 10:00 or so and the door doesn't open until 11:00. I chat up some more folks and find that they are from all over the place, the furthest being from Australia. There was a scattering of locals, and I noticed that most in line were 20 to 30 somethings. I was feeling something of a dinosaur.

The doors opened and we moved our chairs up 10 to 20 feet which continued to happen in 15 to 20 minute intervals. After 3 hours we finally made it into the shade under the building overhang which was supporting the pits. Benji, a partner of Franklin, made regular visits down the line, reassuring folks, answering questions, and telling the unfortunate at the end of the line that they more than likely would not be getting anything but chopped pork or turkey.

Once inside the door it was another 30 minutes to reach the counter. The "slicer" guy was really nice and threw on some short bones and some turkey in addition to the fatty brisket and pork ribs that I ordered. We finally sat down to eat and immediately realized that it was well worth the wait. "How could that be, one might ask." Well, it just is. This coming from well over a combined 200 years of BBQ cooking and eating folks.

Maybe this explains "the experience," maybe not. I was just a fun and memorable time with family with good eats thrown in. Look at it this way. If you and your family were doing a cook at home you would no doubt be doing many of the same things we were doing while waiting in line; talking, laughing, drinking, and just plain enjoying the day, all the while knowing that there was good eats to be had. I felt like I was in Franklin's back yard attending a party with friends, family, and strangers. I would do it again.

Thanks for the great detail on your experience there! Sounds like a great experience. If I would ever go there, I wouldn't have family/friends there so there's half the fun right there gone. Maybe I could do a call to some brethern down there for a Franklins visit haha!

As I said in my 2nd post, Looks like the experience isn't for me. But a great experience to have if you are into that kind of thing.

I'm not much of a social person. I like enjoying myself at home even if its sitting around watching tv. The things I do is mostly boating/fishing/camping with my family or a select few people.

I have heard many great things about LA Barbecue. Just need a reason to spend some time in Austin. It's 3 hours from my home to get there. Maybe drive over for lunch and back sometime!

Great post. Thanks so much for the play by play. Makes me want to go down there right now.

Thanks for the review, going there is on my bucket list as well.
One funny thing that's been in the media is that Kanye West tried to break in line and they told him that everybody is "equal" and to get to the back of the line. I think it's hilarious because judging by his actions he apparently thinks everybody else it beneath him.

Great post on the experience! From a lot at I've read, la barbecue, Louie mueller, and some others are comparable in terms of taste. Or at least in the same league. Some say better but I am guessing at least in same ballpark. That plus the fact that I wasn't with folks who would be into a 4 hour line is why I never tried Franklin

I would do it, though, with the right crowd. It is like a tailgate, from what I've read. Bring chairs and friends and drinks and just chat and enjoy! Someday, I hope!

Until then, I am with the poster who suggested trying la barbecue, Louie mueller, or john mueller. Actually for me the best bite of brisket I ever had was from john mueller. Apparently he can be hit or miss but I got a hit. The bark was incredible. And his sauce is a perfect complement (completely unnecessary as the brisket is from heaven, but it is amazing, too)

Me and my wife just recently went and we enjoyed it. Brisket was the best I've had to date, plus we enjoy doing "foodie" activities.

My point being, we all spend our time doing different thing and those who post the " No way l'm wasting my time standing in line" can bet other people can say the same thing about some activities ya'll enjoy to spend time on.

Enjoy what you want to enjoy I say, no point in bashing other folks enjoyment :cool:

Ok, Don't get me wrong here. I bet you anything that Franklin's produces some great brisket! As from what I gather probably the best at least in the States if not the world.

Why wait in a line like that? I couldn't even handle being the first person in line and waste my entire morning/afternoon/day waiting in line talking to random strangers.. I guess I'm not a people person but I would rather go some where else or eat at home.

Sure, the food is phenomenal, but I could easily find something better to do with my time than wait in line for a brisket. Don't think even Franklin's is that important to me to kill 4-6 hrs in line.

Not trying to be negative, but I'm just wondering why anybody would do this? Is the brisket that rewarding for the time spent in line? Because from all the posts and things I read about Franklin everything else they cook seems pretty sub-par.

I dunno, for me it would not be worth my time waiting for it.

So you think being social and experiencing things in life is a "waste of time". But sitting around your house doing nothing and watching TV, is not???

I ate at Louie Mullers in Taylor a couple of weeks ago and the brisket was incredible. I have eaten at Franklins and it was on par. I wish I knew where these guys get their meat. The quality of the meat is just incredible. My wait in line was about 30min. Which I find is acceptable. Next time I go I will get the beef rib. I would have gotten it this time but I was traveling by myself and I just could not eat that much. Definitely Louie Mullers needs to be on the buckets list for must eat BBQ.

Last edited:
I would also like to add that Franklin's is more of a destination place for visiting people than locals, unless the local is taking their out of state friend who is requesting to go there. The whole experience of showing up early, waiting in line, drinking beer, catching up with old friends, and meeting new people from all over the world turn it into something special.

My thoughts almost exactly... when we went it was during a bitter cold (for central Texas) snap. so the lines where only down to the end of the block when we arrived. The wait in line, sharing beer with those around you and the interaction and the shared anticipation is what made the trip worthwhile to me.

The Brisket was decent, but I think Louie Mueller's over in Taylor is MUCH better. Franklins Pulled pork was mushy and far from what I would expect from a "pit master" of Franklins stature. Perhaps it was just a bad day for the pork... But I would not stand in line again for it. The brisket.. maybe

The Franklins experience is the wait in line, with fellow BBQ lovers sharing a cold beer and stories of great cooks and BBQ Places. the food is just a small part of it, in my opinion

Back